Action items are recorded in purple text.
- Check In –> 11 members in attendance
2. Follow up from Last Meeting
Pride Week Plans
Sunday, March 5 1:00 – 5:00 p.m. Community Glam afternoon at The House of Hair Design –free tickets
- altView will assist in creating tickets using Eventbrite so that we can track the number of participants
- tickets will help to stagger the times that people arrive at the event
Monday, March 6 7:00 Marni Panas speaking in the Roger Epp room at Augustana;
- AQUA will provide refreshments; AQUA and CPC will split the cost of the honorarium
- altView staff will help with publicity
Thursday, March 9 7:00-9:30 pm Expressive Arts evening –free tickets
- Diane McLaren, a local artist, has offered to facilitate a workshop to help build community
- On campus at Augustana with a location to be announced
- altView will again help with Eventbrite tickets for this free event and with publicity
- AQUA and CPC will split the cost of materials for this workshop
Friday, March 10 Concert Ray Spoon (a trans musician) will be performing at the Bailey Theatre in the evening
- A discussion with Ray Spoon in the afternoon from noon until 2:00 approximately, is being offered; more details to be announced
AQUA is planning other events that will take place on campus during Pride Week. These will be shared with the group on Facebook and on the website.
Saturday, March 18 So You Think You Can Drag at the Bailey Theatre
- This will be an all ages event.
- Anyone is welcome to enter the competition. More information will be coming soon.
- It will be important for us to have information about Camrose Pride Community and upcoming events at all Pride Week events.
Youth Events –> Youth Film and Game Night on February 13 6:00-8:00 pm at Camrose Public Library for Junior/Senior High School Students
- Being planned by a Community Service Learning student who is supervised by Val and Carol
- If anyone from Camrose Pride Community wants to attend and help supervise, contact Carol.
Big Valley Jamboree parade on August 3 — no cost, but must provide a certificate of insurance
- Jen will research further
- Jen will confirm details about borrowing the truck and flatbed trailer and the insurance requirements
3. New Opportunities
- National Film Day –> April 19 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. at the Bailey Theatre –>Camrose Pride was asked to choose a film that will be shown this day and invited to introduce it.
- The film we have chosen is “Breakfast with Scot.”
- Bryan has access to someone who could help with the film discussion; Leadership Team to discuss
- Jen–>shared a request for support for a queer Kurdish refugee who wants to come to Alberta; if anyone is interested in helping with this, let Jen know
- Survey–> If anyone is willing to offer information by completing the Edmonton Men’s Health Collective Sexually Transmitted and Bloodborne Infections Strategy Survey, contact Carol very soon. This is time sensitive.
- Edmonton Pride Parade–> June 10 One Pride; Many Voices –> offer suggestions for how the altView/Camrose Pride Community/John Howard Society entry will look this year
4. Planning of Timeline for Year (Mid-March 2017-Mid-March 2018)
- The group brainstormed and discussed various possible events for the upcoming year and these were added to flipcharts for each month.
- There is an overlap of Education and Social events as many social events in the community are an opportunity to provide education.
- All suggestions are open to revision.
- Time has been built into the calendar for planning and preparation.
- These plans did not include our regular meetings each month (Regular meeting on the first Monday of the month, Family and Friends Support Group on the second Monday of the month and espressOUT on the third Monday of the month) which will continue.
- April 19 Canada 150 Filmfest at the Bailey Theatre (5:30-7:30 Camrose Pride Community film being shown)
- April 23 altView AGM at 11:00 a.m. in Edmonton
- Planning for a busy June and August
- June 2 & 3 Jaywalker’s Jamboree Fundraising event – Face painting and information booth (see Amber for details)
- June 9-16 Edmonton Pride Festival
- June 10 Opportunity to walk with altView in the Pride Parade
- June 13 altView High Tea event
- June 17 Fort Saskatchewan BBQ
- June 24 Camrose Pride Community BBQ
- Campfire at The Manor in Ferintosh
- Construction of the float for the Big Valley Jamboree Parade
- August 3 Big Valley Jamboree parade entry
- Possible camp out for 18+ or supervised youth (families)
- Community Registration Night booth
- Collaboration with Seniors’ Coalition on a Senior’s presentation (hopefully with Michael Phair) (Margaret to take a lead role)
- Open Door Bed Race entry (Halloween time)
- Begin planning for Pride Week
- Second annual Mingle All the Way Potluck Social
- Educational event with support of altView
- Possibly a Mental Health Panel in keeping with the Let’s Talk campaign about mental health
- Pride Week in collaboration with AQUA
5. Divide and Conquer –> the planning was done as a whole group instead of in smaller groups
- Share resources with Jen that she can add to the website
- Bryan will create a firstname.lastname@example.org for information
- Contact numbers will be added to the website so that people can make contact with someone as needed
Events coming up:
- February 7 Human Library: Ehren is giving a talk at the Augustana Human Library at 7:00 p.m.
- February 13 Family and Friends Event at Camrose United Church 7:00 – 9:00 p.m.
- February 13 Youth Film and Game night at Camrose Public Library 6:00-8:00 p.m.
- February 20 espressOUT 5:00 to 6:30 p.m. at Alice Hotel Restaurant
- altView will be hosting a board and staff mixer in March or April in Edmonton; watch for details
7. Next Meeting Details: March 6 Marni Panas 7:00 p.m. in the Roger Epp Room at Augustana in lieu of our regular monthly meeting
Parking lot: Future Agenda Items
- The process to become a Not for Profit Organization
- Discussion with group about how the executive functions
- Discussion about what role altView plays with Camrose Pride Community