Camrose Pride Community Meeting
August 7, 2017
Chaired by Gus Belcourt
9 members present
Meeting notes recorded by Carol Breitkreutz
- Introductions and Sharing about what’s happening in our lives
- Marissa (from the Peter Lougheed Leadership Institute)shared that she is preparing an education module for Health Care workers at Bethany about LGBTQ Seniors on August 24 and 25.
- A poster will be added to the website for information.
2. Celebration and review of Big Valley Jamboree Parade Participation
- Thank yous: TNeal for the trailer, Carl and Gus for design, to everyone who helped with the construction and parade; to all who joined us on our float
- Celebrations: We won first prize for Community Entry!! – very positive response from the crowd; we were as inclusive as we could possibly be (babies, children, parents, seniors, families, politicians (MLAs), community members, business reps (Starbucks), drag queen
- Learnings: have specific grab bags with candy and flyers, ration the distribution of give aways to last for the whole parade, make more buttons
- Future plans: Should we take our float to other parades next year? We may need a Parade committee for next year to investigate the possibilities.
- Planning for upcoming events
- Summer Campfire Event at the Ferintosh Manor Bed and Breakfast à Friday, August 25 at 7:00 p.m. Bring chairs. Other details will be posted.
- Wellness Fair at the Augustana Campus of the University of Alberta on September 6 (10-2) Sammy, Carol, Jen and Shae
- Community Registration Night on September 7: 6:30-9:00 pm TNeal, Jen, Amielle
- Michael Phair Seniors’ Event on October 4
- Expressive Arts Sessions with AQUA times to be determined
- Action for Potential Collaborations: Will book a meeting with ED of Student Life to meet with Val, Sammy, Wayne, Gus and Carol to discuss LGBTQ supports on campus and in community
- Action: Winter Celebration Potluck: Jonathan in charge of music, invite the Filipino community and others
- Report from altView about exciting upcoming initiatives
- October 14 Building Capacity in Rural Communities for Diversity and Inclusion
- An Augustana venue has been booked
- Action: A meeting with Michael, Bryan and Wayne, Gus, Jen will be arranged
- Other items from the group:
- Latest edition of Anarqueers Volume 3 is out; Jen is helping with circulation
- Donation cheque gratefully received from AQUA for Camrose Pride Community
- Presented a good bye/good luck card to Dusty as he leaves for Red Deer College
6. espressOUT on August 21 at the Alice Hotel Restaurant 5:00 – 6:30 p.m.
- Next Regular Group Meeting on September 4 at 6:00 p.m.
- Family and Friends Support Group will resume on September 11, 2017
Adjournment at 7:20 p.m.