November 19, 2018 6-8 pm at House of Hair Design
A. Sharing and Connection: 12 people were in attendance
B. Discussion of past events
- Hay Lakes QSA event
- Michael Green of altView gave an excellent presentation that was very informative and helpful. This emphasized that importance of providing an opportunity for people to express their concerns and have them addressed with accurate information.
- Pride Kodiaks Hockey Game on October 19
- Boris Rybalka, GM and Head Coach of the Kodiaks, was very welcoming and did a lot to highlight inclusion in sports at the game. Thanks to the Kodiaks for their support and to Jeff McLean of Pride Tape.
- Hay Lakes QSA event
3. espressOUT in October
- Well attended in the Augustana Forum; consensus is that it is easiest for Augustana students to drop by if espressOUT is on campus or close to campus
- Consensus to try Fika as a location for espressOUT in January.
- Action: Melissa will contact Fika about possibility for having espressOUT at Fika on January 28.
C. Planning for upcoming events
- espressOUT on November 26
- During Wellness Week at Augustana
- Action: Carol will send information to Alex of the ASA to see if the notice can be included in the Wellness Week activity schedule.
2. Friends and Family Support Group
- Meeting on Dec. 3 6-8 pm. at Camrose Public Library in the Bunker
- Spread the word that all friends and family are welcome to attend.
3. December 10 Pizza and a Movie Night
- We will meet at Gus’ house at 6:00 p.m.
- Contact Camrose Pride for the address.
- We still need to find a suitable movie to watch. Suggestions?
4. December 11 Potential AQUA event
- Will not work at this time, but future possible collaborations will be explored especially regarding necessary insurance coverage
5. Queer Like Me Youth Art Project in January and Art Show in February
- The Camrose Police Association gave Camrose Pride a $1000 grant to run the project.
- It will be open to queer youth (up to the age of 24) in Camrose and area on January 11, 18 and 25 at the Boys and Girls Club in the Community Centre from 6-8 p.m.
- Registration is confidential and can be done by emailing Nikki Featherstone firstname.lastname@example.org
- Youth will have the option to include their creations in a Queer Like Me Art Exhibition at the Camrose Public Library. The Gala opening of the exhibit will be on Thursday, February 28 during Pride Week.
- Information will be sent out about this project before the end of November.
6. Fundraising opportunity with the Nordlys Film Festival February 15-17
- Group consensus was that we would have enough volunteers to help out at the coat check at the Nordlys Film Festival as a fundraiser for Camrose Pride
- Action: Carol will contact the Nordlys organizers.
7. Possible Augustana CSL student projects
- Good possibility that there will be some Community Service Learning Students who will be able to help with Pride Week activities and a community safe spaces initiative starting in February 2019.
8. Pride Week February 24-March 2: Collaboration with AQUA
- Many exciting ideas for Pride Week were shared by Melissa, Carol and Cathie.
- Meeting will be happening shortly with the Augustana Student Association Pride Committee
9. Formation of a Pride Week planning committee
- Melissa and Carol will try to coordinate the various committees for planning a fantastic Pride Week.
10. Request to City Council to fly the Pride Flag
- Action: Carol will write a letter that can be signed by the co-chairs of Camrose Pride Community and AQUA to request that the pride flag be flown again for Pride Week in February and each Pride Week thereafter
11. Family Dance
- March 23 is a good possibility for a Family Dance at the Retro Pub
- Action: Carol will check the date with the Retro Pub
- Cathie has a theatrical friend from Halifax who is willing to do live Karaoke of cabaret songs with the attendees.
- Action: The event organizers will request that Robyn Bank$ also perform that night as well as other local drag kings and queens.
12. Report from AQUA leadership rep on other upcoming events in the works
- AQUA, in collaboration with the Chester Ronning Centre, is planning to host a one day conference on Queer Rural Issues at Augustana on either March 16 or 23
- A committee to plan this event is being formed.
- The group had many ideas for speakers and topics.
- AQUA has invited Camrose Pride Community members to a movie night in the Wahkohtowin Lodge Classroom at Augustana on Thursday, November 29 at 7:00 p.m. to watch the movie “Love, Simon”. Food and snacks will be provided.
D. Opportunities to be part of the Camrose Pride Community Leadership Team
- Carol will be retiring from her position with Camrose Pride Community in mid-March.
- Action: If anyone is interested in taking on the role of Secretary for Camrose Pride Community, contact the Leadership Team to discuss this responsibility.
E. Other items or ideas
- There have been some requests for activities for youth in the community who are in the 12-19 year old range.
- Discussion and brainstorming generated ideas like collaborating with About Time Productions and/or Camrose Public Library to offer some activities and opportunities to connect with other youth. This might be possible on Friday afternoons when there is early dismissal from high schools.
- Concern was expressed that there is a lot of misinformation around transgender issues that would be a good topic to address with a presentation in the community and at Augustana.
- Action: Jen will do some research on who might be able to present this information and when (possibly during Pride Week?)
F. Next regular meeting: January 14 meeting for sharing and planning at House of Hair Design 6-8 pm