November 19, 2018 Meeting Notes

November 19, 2018 6-8 pm at House of Hair Design

Meeting Notes

A. Sharing and Connection: 12 people were in attendance

B. Discussion of past events

    1. Hay Lakes QSA event
      • Michael Green of altView gave an excellent presentation that was very informative and helpful. This emphasized that importance of providing an opportunity for people to express their concerns and have them addressed with accurate information.
    2. Pride Kodiaks Hockey Game on October 19
      • Boris Rybalka, GM and Head Coach of the Kodiaks, was very welcoming and did a lot to highlight inclusion in sports at the game. Thanks to the Kodiaks for their support and to Jeff McLean of Pride Tape.

3. espressOUT in October

  • Well attended in the Augustana Forum; consensus is that it is easiest for Augustana students to drop by if espressOUT is on campus or close to campus
  • Consensus to try Fika as a location for espressOUT in January.
  • Action: Melissa will contact Fika about possibility for having espressOUT at Fika on January 28.

C. Planning for upcoming events

  1. espressOUT on November 26
  • During Wellness Week at Augustana
  • Action: Carol will send information to Alex of the ASA to see if the notice can be included in the Wellness Week activity schedule.

2. Friends and Family Support Group

    • Meeting on Dec. 3 6-8 pm. at Camrose Public Library in the Bunker
    • Spread the word that all friends and family are welcome to attend.

3. December 10 Pizza and a Movie Night

  • We will meet at Gus’ house at 6:00 p.m.
  • Contact Camrose Pride for the address.
  • We still need to find a suitable movie to watch. Suggestions?

4. December 11 Potential AQUA event

    • Will not work at this time, but future possible collaborations will be explored especially regarding necessary insurance coverage

5. Queer Like Me Youth Art Project in January and Art Show in February

    • The Camrose Police Association gave Camrose Pride a $1000 grant to run the project.
    • It will be open to queer youth (up to the age of 24) in Camrose and area on January 11, 18 and 25 at the Boys and Girls Club in the Community Centre from 6-8 p.m.
    • Registration is confidential and can be done by emailing Nikki Featherstone nkmfeatherstone@gmail.com
    • Youth will have the option to include their creations in a Queer Like Me Art Exhibition at the Camrose Public Library. The Gala opening of the exhibit will be on Thursday, February 28 during Pride Week.
    • Information will be sent out about this project before the end of November.

6. Fundraising opportunity with the Nordlys Film Festival February 15-17

  • Group consensus was that we would have enough volunteers to help out at the coat check at the Nordlys Film Festival as a fundraiser for Camrose Pride
  • Action: Carol will contact the Nordlys organizers.

7. Possible Augustana CSL student projects

    • Good possibility that there will be some Community Service Learning Students who will be able to help with Pride Week activities and a community safe spaces initiative starting in February 2019.

8. Pride Week February 24-March 2: Collaboration with AQUA

  • Many exciting ideas for Pride Week were shared by Melissa, Carol and Cathie.
  • Meeting will be happening shortly with the Augustana Student Association Pride Committee

9. Formation of a Pride Week planning committee

  • Melissa and Carol will try to coordinate the various committees for planning a fantastic Pride Week.

10. Request to City Council to fly the Pride Flag

  • Action: Carol will write a letter that can be signed by the co-chairs of Camrose Pride Community and AQUA to request that the pride flag be flown again for Pride Week in February and each Pride Week thereafter

11. Family Dance

  • March 23 is a good possibility for a Family Dance at the Retro Pub
  • Action: Carol will check the date with the Retro Pub
  • Cathie has a theatrical friend from Halifax who is willing to do live Karaoke of cabaret songs with the attendees.
  • Action: The event organizers will request that Robyn Bank$ also perform that night as well as other local drag kings and queens.

12. Report from AQUA leadership rep on other upcoming events in the works

    • AQUA, in collaboration with the Chester Ronning Centre, is planning to host a one day conference on Queer Rural Issues at Augustana on either March 16 or 23
    • A committee to plan this event is being formed.
    • The group had many ideas for speakers and topics.
    • AQUA has invited Camrose Pride Community members to a movie night in the Wahkohtowin Lodge Classroom at Augustana on Thursday, November 29 at 7:00 p.m. to watch the movie “Love, Simon”. Food and snacks will be provided.

D. Opportunities to be part of the Camrose Pride Community Leadership Team

    • Carol will be retiring from her position with Camrose Pride Community in mid-March.
    • Action: If anyone is interested in taking on the role of Secretary for Camrose Pride Community, contact the Leadership Team to discuss this responsibility.

E. Other items or ideas

  • There have been some requests for activities for youth in the community who are in the 12-19 year old range.
    • Discussion and brainstorming generated ideas like collaborating with About Time Productions and/or Camrose Public Library to offer some activities and opportunities to connect with other youth. This might be possible on Friday afternoons when there is early dismissal from high schools.
  • Concern was expressed that there is a lot of misinformation around transgender issues that would be a good topic to address with a presentation in the community and at Augustana.
  • Action: Jen will do some research on who might be able to present this information and when (possibly during Pride Week?)

F. Next regular meeting: January 14 meeting for sharing and planning at House of Hair Design 6-8 pm

 

November 19, 2018 Meeting Agenda

November 19, 2018 6-8 pm at House of Hair Design

Draft Agenda

If anyone has other items to be added to the agenda, contact the leadership team at Camrosepridecommunity@gmail.com.

1. Sharing and Connection

2. Discussion of past events

  • Hay Lakes QSA event
  • Pride Kodiaks Hockey Game on October 19
  • espressOUT in October

3. Planning for upcoming events

  • EspressOUT on November 26
  • Friends and Family Support Group meeting on Dec. 3 6-8 pm. at Camrose Public Library in the Bunker
  • December 10 Pizza and a Movie
  • Fundraising opportunity with the Nordlys Film Festival
  • Queer Like Me Youth Art Project in January
  • Possible Augustana CSL student projects
  • Pride Week February 24-March 2: Collaboration with AQUA
  • Formation of a Pride Week planning committee
  • Family Dance (perhaps on March 23)
  • Report from AQUA leadership rep on other upcoming events in the works

4. Opportunities to be part of the Camrose Pride Community Leadership Team

5. Other items or ideas?

 

September 10, 2018 6-8 p.m. Meeting at House of Hair Design

  1. Connecting and Sharing – 8 in attendance, Gus chaired
  2. Report on past events
  • espressOUT at Fox & Fable Book and Game Café in August

Attendance was great, lots of conversation and the games made it easier for people to participate.

  • Fall Bank$ Ball

Very well attended, 160 people. Lots of fun

  • Moving our meetings and espressOUT to the second and fourth Mondays of the month
    • Work out dates on long weekends coming up in October and November
    • We will move our Oct. and Nov. meetings to Tuesday, Oct. 9 and  Tuesday, November 13.
  1. Planning for upcoming events
  • Support for the QSA event in Hay Lakes on October 4
  • reminder of this event, 6:30 pm, bring baking
  • Family Dance on October 26 for Halloween

A suggestion was made to approach the Bailey about partnering for this event. Gus will call Simon.

Otherwise we will look at a Potluck and Family Dance on Nov. 23 or 24th.

  • Grant applications: Camrose Police Association Grant
    • Queer Like Me Youth Art Project

A copy of the application was shared for information. Mike shared that altView has developed a similar program in Strathcona County with the Boys and Girls Club. It is also art based but without the therapy component. This could be information we share to support our application.

  • Future espressOUT meetings
    • Conversation on how to respond to bigoted comments and attitudes with resource person from ISMSS

It was felt that this could be very useful at our October ExpressOUT. We would need to secure a venue as the Forum would not necessarily be suitable.

  • Holiday Potluck on December 10

A location will need to be determined for this event

  • Initiatives with Kodiaks and Vikings

There was considerable excitement about fundraising opportunities at  a game. Discussion was also held about seeing if a game could be scheduled around Augustana Pride Week. Amielle will help with this piece.

  • Fundraising ideas
  • Other ideas/information shared

Mike shared some concerning information that one of the branches of the Lutheran Church in Alberta is indirectly encouraging conversion therapy. This is being shared through their upcoming conference booklet and to their private school network. Jen will research potential impacts to be aware of especially in the county.

The question was raised about GSA activity in the county and how we can be supporting that. This may be an area where Cathie can help as a parent.

Who are we not advocating for/supporting that we could be? was another topic of conversation. We have Mike, Sophie and Jen to act as resources.

Mike is going to obtain Safer Space stickers from the University that we can offer to businesses to place in their window.

It is also possible to provide Safer Space Training to City Council through altView.

  • Next meeting: espressOUT in the Augustana Forum on Monday,
    September 24, 5:30-7:00 pm

July 3, 2018 Meeting Notes

6:00-8:00 pm at House of Hair Design

4830-48 Street, Camrose, Alberta

6 people were in attendance. Gus chaired the meeting.

Action items are in bold.

  1. Connecting and Sharing
  2. Report on past events
  • espressOUT in June at Fox & Fable Book and Game Café: great venue for espressOUT; Suggestion: next time try playing some games that include the whole group as a means of getting to know one another better.

 

 

  • BBQ on June 24: 90 people attended the BBQ; good time of mingling and visiting; thanks to our wonderful supporters:
    • Rebecca Bridger (and Louis) of Whisk & Ladle Bake shop for grilling up our burgers and donating so much delicious food
    • Hauser Home Hardware for the use their grill
    • Camrose Directory for the donations of water bottles
    • Prairie Rose Bottled Water for the bags of ice
    • Camrose Public Library for attending with the Book Bike, Life Cycle and giant game and reading stories to the kids
    • Generous donations of cash from people who attended; Thank you!
  1. Planning for upcoming events
  • Read with Royalty at Camrose Public Library on July 27 1:00-3:00 pm
    • We are excited to be supporting this event with Camrose Public Library taking the lead
    • Zach aka Robyn Bank$ will be reading stories and giving a mini-drag workshop for all ages
    • Camrose Public Library is also hoping to have a King read at the event.
    • Action item: donations of clothing are needed for all ages and sizes for the dress up portion of the workshop
  • Big Valley Jamboree Parade Entry (morning) and BBQ on August 2 (evening)

Action items:

    • Preparation for our parade entry on Wednesday, August 1 at 6:00 at House of Hair Design
    • Work bee to wash, polish and decorate the beautiful convertible that Tish is lending us for the parade
    • Bring along snacks to share to sustain us during our work bee
    • We invite everyone to walk with us in the parade and show your support for creating a caring, inclusive community. Meet at the road by Public Works by 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, August 2 if you want to walk with us in the parade (look for the teal classic convertible with rainbow decorations!); wear bright rainbow colours and comfortable walking shoes; rain or shine we will be there!
    • Thursday, August 2 Celebration BBQ at 6:30 p.m. at Gus’s house; contact us for the address
  • August meeting? Should we meet? Action item: It was decided by the group that there will be no regular meetings on August 6 and September 3; we will meet on July 16 and August 20 for espressOUT with a short information session as part of these meetings.

 

  • Community Registration Night: September 6 We will have a display at this event and Jen will be coordinating this.

 

  • Bank$ Fall Ball on September 7 at the Bailey Theatre: Sponsorship request letters have been distributed to many businesses in the community and we anticipate good support for this special event; 2 drag queens from Edmonton will be special guests along with hostess, Robyn Bank$; costume contest; posters and advertising will be ready for the beginning of August; a big thank you to Zach for all his work on this event!

 

  • Collaborative Community events: Lots of ideas shared including doing some impromptu get-togethers like hikes and movie nights to focus on building our community; Jen will be sending out an email notice about contact information for this initiative

 

  • Family Dance: Action item: Carol to investigate potential venues for a Halloween Family Dance on Friday, October 26; discussion about admission and agreed on $10 per person or $20 per family

 

  • Educational initiatives: Action item: The Leadership Team has been investigating possible educational events; submit your suggestions

 

  • Grant applications: Camrose Police Association Grant is available for application; Action item: Wayne and Carol will be making contact with the Kodiaks to explore a collaborative event to promote everyone’s right to play and be treated with respect; possibility of using this project as part of our application for funding from the Camrose Police Association

 

  • Fundraising ideas: Share your suggestions with the Leadership Team; we need to start generating some finances in order to carry out our mission

 

  • Future espressOUT meetings: will be looking at the dates for the Human Library at Augustana and considering where it is best to hold our espressOUT meetings after the start-up of university; desire to include a variety of locations
  1. Other ideas? Share your ideas with anyone on the Leadership Team, Wayne, Gus, Carol or Margaret. We have a new email address: camrosepridecommunity@gmail.com

5. Next meeting: espressOUT at Rebel Ink on Monday, July 16 5:30-7:00 pm Zach will be hosting this gathering.

 

July 3 Meeting Agenda

Note date change to Tuesday, July 3!

6:00-8:00 pm at House of Hair Design

4830-48 Street, Camrose, Alberta

1. Connecting and Sharing

2. Report on past events

  • espressOUT in June at Fox & Fable Book and Game Cafe
  • Arts and Recreation in the Park on June 23
  • BBQ on June 24

3. Planning for upcoming events

  • Read with Royalty at Camrose Public Library
  • Big Valley Jamboree Parade Entry and BBQ on August 2
  • August meeting?
  • Community Registration Night
  • Bank$ Fall Ball
  • Collaborative Community events
  • Family Dance
  • Educational initiatives
  • Grant applications
  • Fundraisers
  • Future espressOUT meetings

4. Other ideas?

5. Next meeting

  • espressOUT at Rebel Ink on Monday, July 16 5:30-7:00 pm

 

June 4, 2018 Meeting Agenda

Meeting at 6:00 p.m. at 4830-48 Street (House of Hair Design)

Everyone is welcome to attend!

  1. Connecting and Sharing
  2. Presentation of Bylaws in preparation for Not for Profit Status Application
  3. Planning for upcoming events
    1. Special event on September 7, 2018 in collaboration with Rebel Ink
    2. Community BBQ on June 24, 2018 at House of Hair Design 1-4 p.m.
    3. Big Valley Jamboree Parade on August 2, 2018
    4. Community Registration Night on September 6
    5. Locations for espressOUT throughout the summer and in the fall
    6. Events for September to December
    7. Ideas for grant application funding from Camrose Police Association
  1. Announcements: information of interest to the group

Blanket Exercise with Roy and Judy Louis on September 28 @ 10:30 a.m. and 1:00 @ Camrose Public Library. This is Orange Shirt Day!

  1. Upcoming meetings
  • espressOUT on June 18 at Fox and Fable Book and Game Café (5:30-7:00 p.m.)
  • July 2 Regular monthly meeting at House of Hair Design (6-8 p.m.)
  • July 16 espressOUT-location? (5:30-7:00 p.m.)
  • August 6 Regular monthly meeting at House of Hair Design (6-8 p.m.)
  • August 20 espressOUT-location? (5:30-7:00 p.m.)

Meeting Notes from May 7, 2018

Meeting at 6:00 p.m. at 4830-48 Street (House of Hair Design)

on May 7, 2018

14 people were in attendance

Action items are in purple.

  1. Connecting and Sharing
    • Carol shared some resources from Mental Health Awareness Week about using nature to assist with mental health.
  2. Discussion about practices regarding privacy and photography
    • We will attempt to be very conscious of people’s privacy and will not take photos or post photos without verbal or written consent. We will avoid taking and posting photos of minors without parental consent.
  3. Planning for upcoming events
    • Community BBQ on June 24, 2018 at House of Hair Design from 1-4 p.m.
      • Carol, Wayne and Amielle will be the planning committee for this event.
      • Posters will be printed and distributed by CDSS with the assistance of Centra Cam; Shea offered to hang posters in other communities when emailed the poster
      • It was suggested that we include sidewalk chalk, lawn games and music as part of the activities for the afternoon.
    • Big Valley Jamboree Parade on August 2, 2018
      • Gus is consulting with Carl on the design for the float.
      • TNeal and Shea are preparing the truck and trailer.
      • Theia will be connecting with the Family School Liaison workers to see if some of them can assist in preparations for the float during the first week of July. Others are welcome to assist with this as well.
      • Carol has assurances from a community member who is willing to provide garage space for the decorating and storing of the float prior to the parade.
    • Community Registration Night on September 6
      • Margaret will register Camrose Pride Community for a table at Community Registration Night on September 6.
      • Jen, TNeal and Shea are willing to provide information at the table; Amielle will help if she is available.
    • Locations for espressOUT throughout the summer and in the fall
      • Good Goat Books and Games has generously offered to host espressOUT in their newly opened business even though they are not open on Mondays.
      • Each month at our Monthly meeting (the 1st Monday of the month), we will determine where to hold espressOUT for that month (on the 3rd Monday of the month).
    • Events for September to December
      • Discussion about partnering with the Augustana Pride Committee and Augustana Queers and Allies to hold a Family Dress Up Dance in October- Wayne and Carol will explore this.
      • Discussion about having a campfire and wiener roast at the end of August or beginning of September-Amielle, Carol and Wayne will explore the possibilities.
      • Mention of continuing our Holiday Potluck for our monthly meeting on December 3, 2018.
      • Brief mention of planning some educational events in the fall as well e.g. safe spaces sensitivity workshop for businesses and service providers.
    • Discuss invitations to participate in Taber Pride Festival on June 2 and Camrose Arts & Recreation in the Park on June 23
      • Unfortunately, no one from Camrose Pride Community if available to participate in the Taber Pride Festival; discussion about sending some information to the organizers that could be shared; Wayne and Carol will respond to the request from Taber.
      • The group was in favour of Camrose Pride Community hosting a community drum circle as part of the Arts and Recreation in the Park event on June 23; Carol will make arrangements to facilitate this on behalf of the group; information can be available to the public about Camrose Pride Community and about our community barbeque the next day.
  • Planning for Becoming a Not for Profit Organization
    • The Leadership Team is preparing the documents for Camrose Pride Community to become a Not for Profit Organization.
    • The hope is that with this status, Camrose Pride can apply for grant funding.
  • Collaboration with Augustana
    • Wayne and Carol are Camrose Pride Community representatives on a newly formed Pride Committee at Augustana

5. Announcements: information of interest to the group

    • Chevi Rabbitt is speaking at Camrose United Church on Tuesday, May 22 @ 7:00 p.m. ; everyone is welcome to attend
    • Blanket Exercise with Roy and Judy Louis on June 5 @ 10:30 a.m. @ Camrose Public Library
      • Please note that this has had to be postponed until September 28 (Orange Shirt Day).
    • Ecole Camrose Composite High School GSA is hosting Pride Week activities at the school during the lunch time break from Monday, May 14-Thursday, May 17. Some Camrose Pride Community members were interested in supporting these initiatives.

6. Upcoming meetings

    • espressOUT on May 21: Meeting at House of Hair Design 5:30-7:00 p.m.
    • June 4 regular monthly meeting at House of Hair Design 6:00-8:00 p.m.
    • Family and Friends meeting: this group meets at the Camrose Public Library; a meeting date was not available at this time

 

May 7, 2018 Meeting Agenda

Meeting at 6:00 p.m at 4830-48 Street (House of Hair Design)

Everyone is welcome to attend!

  1. Connecting and Sharing
  2. Discussion about practices regarding privacy and photography
  3. Planning for upcoming events
    1. Community BBQ on June 24, 2018 at House of Hair Design 
    2. Big Valley Jamboree Parade on August 2, 2018
    3. Community Registration Night on September 6
    4. Locations for espressOUT throughout the summer and in the fall
    5. Events for September to December
    6. Discuss invitations to participate in Taber Pride Festival on June 2 and Camrose Arts & Recreation in the Park on June 23

3. Planning for Becoming a Not for Profit Organization

4. Collaboration with Augustana

5. Announcements: information of interest to the group

    1. Chevi Rabbitt speaking at Camrose United Church on Tuesday, May 22 @ 7:00 p.m.
    2. Blanket Exercise with Roy and Judy Louis on June 5 @ 10:30 a.m. @ Camrose Public Library

6. Upcoming meetings

1. espressOUT on May 21

2. June 4 regular monthly meeting

3. Family and Friends meeting?