Meeting Notes January 9, 2017

camrose-pride-community-minutes2

Camrose Pride Community Monthly Meeting
Meeting notes January 9, 2017

1. Greetings
2. Introductions and Check in: 19 present
3. Call for Agenda items: nothing more added
4. Minutes:
1. Invitation again to Games night, the first Friday of the month
1. Potluck and games at Camrose United Church
5. Reports – Family and Friends Support
1. Meeting on the second Monday of the month
2. Colleen made contact with the Camrose Composite High School to let parents associated with the QSA there know about the Family and Friends Support Group
3. Question received about possibility of a blog as a safe way for others to communicate with questions or concerns: group is open to suggestions
4. Questions about how much publicity should be done
5. Refer any interested people to Jen@altview.ca who will help make the connections to the group
6. Colleen Nelson and Chris Rebus are also available as contacts for this group
7. Discussion about how to connect cousellors and those who are expressing a need
8. Open Door is very responsive to needs

6. Announcements
1. Bryan (ED of altView) has just assumed a new role at ISMSS (Institute for Sexual Minority Studies and Services at the University of Alberta, North Campus
2. Jen’s hours have doubled to 10 hours per week; altView has provided funding to support Jen’s position as a resource person for Camrose Pride Community

7. Pride Community Executive Proposal
1. Discussion about managing of finances; priority to deal with this within the first quarter
2. Addition of the Recording Secretary as a necessary role
1. Possibility that the recording secretary should be an impartial recorder without a vote
3. Co-Chair Positions
1. Suggestion to have a well-established member and a less established member from the community to assume co-chair roles
2. 2 year term
3. Wayne and Gus accepted the co-chair positions
4. Roles to be worked out with Leadership Team
4. Recording Secretary
1. 2 year term of office
2. Carol has accepted the role of recording secretary
3. Question about whether or not the Recording Secretary’s position should be a voting or non-voting position
4. Details to be worked out by Leadership Team
5. Jen to serve as a Resource person from altView with the Leadership team
6. Education Lead positions will be discussed by the Leadership Team
7. Social Lead position will be discussed by the Leadership Team
8. A representative of the Parent and Friend support group will be part of the Leadership Team
9. A representative from AQUA will be part of the Leadership Team
8. Discussion about moving forward with collaboration with the Seniors Coalition
1. Carlile has offered to provide connections with Senior’s initiatives in BC and Toronto
9. Pride Week Planning – Augustana March 6-11
1. Marni Panas will be speaking on March 6
2. March 5 Camrose Glam 1:00 to 5:00 at the glamorous House of Hair Design: open to all for fun and exploration
3. Expressive arts
4. Many other activities are being planned
10. March 18 à So You Think You Can Drag at the Bailey Theatre (location to be confirmed)
11. March 31 Trans Day of Visibility: suggestions are requested
1. One idea is a clothing swap
12. Big Valley Parade Participation
1. August 3
2. TNeal has offered a truck and truck bed
3. Find a way to make it exciting
4. Carl has offered his expertise and materials to help with the decoration of the float
5. Suggestion to provide some education with the parade entry: gender spectrum

13. Film Night Idea: Pride Film Festival Idea
1. Gus has suggestions for films to be shown
2. Could be a low maintenance event
14. Next espressOUT on Monday, January 16 at 5:00-6:30 at the Alice Hotel
15. Next Camrose Pride Community meeting is on Monday, February 6 at 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. at Camrose United Church

 

camrose-pride-community-agenda2

Camrose Pride Community Agenda – January 9th

  1. Greetings
  2. Call for Agenda items
  3. Introductions
  4. Review of Minutes
  5. Reports – Family and Friends Support
  6. Pride Community Executive  – Proposal
  7. Pride Week Planning – Augustana
  8. Big Valley Parade participation

November 7 Meeting Minutes

Meeting Notes for Camrose Pride Community November 7, 2016 at Camrose United Church 6:00 p.m.

*Action items are in red

1. Greetings
2. Call for Agenda items
3. Introductions
4. Review of minutes
➢ Check the website for the minutes of the last meeting
➢ We are experiencing some difficulties with the website which are being addressed
5. Reports
➢ Our MLA report included Camrose Pride Community in his report.
➢ Great response to the Bed Race; the Bed Races raised $14000 for the Open Door; AQUA were fantastic with their support of this event
➢ Change espressOUT to 5:00 to 6:30 p.m. so it is more of a coffee happy hour; espressOUT will meet on the third Monday of the month; Jen will submit an announcement to the Camrose Morning News in the Community Events section
➢ Parent’s group met on October 11; this group will try and meet on the second Mondays of the month
➢ First Friday of the month is Games Night and a potluck at Camrose United Church; Jen will extend an invitation to Camrose Pride Community
6. Collaboration with Seniors’ Coalition
➢ Seniors’ Coalition would like someone from Camrose Pride to work with them
➢ Seniors’ Chat in February or March: Jonathan has approached the Prime Timers to become involved
➢ We need a champion who can help us raise LGBTQ Seniors’ issues.
7. Holiday Celebration
➢ December 5 at 6:00 p.m.
➢ Potluck
➢ Bring Christmas music for carol singing and dancing
➢ Jen has booked the United Church Hall
➢ Mingle All the Way; socializing with games and music as people are inclined
➢ Action: Jen will create a Facebook Event for December 5

8. Planning for 2017

❖ Fostering Collaborations
➢ AQUA
➢ Bed Races – Open Door
➢ Seniors Coalition
➢ CDSS
➢ Library/Bunker
➢ Camrose Police
➢ United Church
➢ Manor at Ferintosh
➢ Primetimers
➢ Mental Health services

❖ Providing Education
➢ Seniors event with Michael Phair
➢ Human Library
➢ Resources on the website: counsellors
➢ Movie Night (all three categories)
➢ Ezines – capturing people’s experiences (hard copies)
➢ Marni Panas: Action: Carol to contact about Marni’s availability (Spring or Fall)
➢ Panel of people to talk about mental health supports for LGBTQ
➢ Community Registration Night

❖ Hosting Events
➢ BBQ
➢ Dance Party
➢ So You Think You Can Drag: AQUA
➢ Pride Week at Augustana
➢ Camp Out
➢ Canada 150/retro
➢ Bed Race
➢ Float in Big Valley Jamboree-contact TNeal for truck and flat bed if we decide to enter the parade
➢ Edmonton Pride
➢ Camp Fire at the Manor at Ferintosh
➢ espressOUT
➢ Family and Friends Support

9. Safe Spaces in Health Care may be addressed through some of our education events; we will return to this issue in the future

Meeting adjourned at 7:48 p.m.

espressOUT on Monday, November 21 5:00 – 6:30 at the Alice Hotel Restaurant

Next regular meeting is on December 5 at 6:00: Christmas Social

Our regular January meeting will be held on January 9 at 6:00 at the Camrose United Church (please note: this is not on the first Monday of the month as is our pattern.)