Meeting Notes January 9, 2017

camrose-pride-community-minutes2

Camrose Pride Community Monthly Meeting
Meeting notes January 9, 2017

1. Greetings
2. Introductions and Check in: 19 present
3. Call for Agenda items: nothing more added
4. Minutes:
1. Invitation again to Games night, the first Friday of the month
1. Potluck and games at Camrose United Church
5. Reports – Family and Friends Support
1. Meeting on the second Monday of the month
2. Colleen made contact with the Camrose Composite High School to let parents associated with the QSA there know about the Family and Friends Support Group
3. Question received about possibility of a blog as a safe way for others to communicate with questions or concerns: group is open to suggestions
4. Questions about how much publicity should be done
5. Refer any interested people to Jen@altview.ca who will help make the connections to the group
6. Colleen Nelson and Chris Rebus are also available as contacts for this group
7. Discussion about how to connect cousellors and those who are expressing a need
8. Open Door is very responsive to needs

6. Announcements
1. Bryan (ED of altView) has just assumed a new role at ISMSS (Institute for Sexual Minority Studies and Services at the University of Alberta, North Campus
2. Jen’s hours have doubled to 10 hours per week; altView has provided funding to support Jen’s position as a resource person for Camrose Pride Community

7. Pride Community Executive Proposal
1. Discussion about managing of finances; priority to deal with this within the first quarter
2. Addition of the Recording Secretary as a necessary role
1. Possibility that the recording secretary should be an impartial recorder without a vote
3. Co-Chair Positions
1. Suggestion to have a well-established member and a less established member from the community to assume co-chair roles
2. 2 year term
3. Wayne and Gus accepted the co-chair positions
4. Roles to be worked out with Leadership Team
4. Recording Secretary
1. 2 year term of office
2. Carol has accepted the role of recording secretary
3. Question about whether or not the Recording Secretary’s position should be a voting or non-voting position
4. Details to be worked out by Leadership Team
5. Jen to serve as a Resource person from altView with the Leadership team
6. Education Lead positions will be discussed by the Leadership Team
7. Social Lead position will be discussed by the Leadership Team
8. A representative of the Parent and Friend support group will be part of the Leadership Team
9. A representative from AQUA will be part of the Leadership Team
8. Discussion about moving forward with collaboration with the Seniors Coalition
1. Carlile has offered to provide connections with Senior’s initiatives in BC and Toronto
9. Pride Week Planning – Augustana March 6-11
1. Marni Panas will be speaking on March 6
2. March 5 Camrose Glam 1:00 to 5:00 at the glamorous House of Hair Design: open to all for fun and exploration
3. Expressive arts
4. Many other activities are being planned
10. March 18 à So You Think You Can Drag at the Bailey Theatre (location to be confirmed)
11. March 31 Trans Day of Visibility: suggestions are requested
1. One idea is a clothing swap
12. Big Valley Parade Participation
1. August 3
2. TNeal has offered a truck and truck bed
3. Find a way to make it exciting
4. Carl has offered his expertise and materials to help with the decoration of the float
5. Suggestion to provide some education with the parade entry: gender spectrum

13. Film Night Idea: Pride Film Festival Idea
1. Gus has suggestions for films to be shown
2. Could be a low maintenance event
14. Next espressOUT on Monday, January 16 at 5:00-6:30 at the Alice Hotel
15. Next Camrose Pride Community meeting is on Monday, February 6 at 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. at Camrose United Church

 

November 7 Meeting Minutes

Meeting Notes for Camrose Pride Community November 7, 2016 at Camrose United Church 6:00 p.m.

*Action items are in red

1. Greetings
2. Call for Agenda items
3. Introductions
4. Review of minutes
➢ Check the website for the minutes of the last meeting
➢ We are experiencing some difficulties with the website which are being addressed
5. Reports
➢ Our MLA report included Camrose Pride Community in his report.
➢ Great response to the Bed Race; the Bed Races raised $14000 for the Open Door; AQUA were fantastic with their support of this event
➢ Change espressOUT to 5:00 to 6:30 p.m. so it is more of a coffee happy hour; espressOUT will meet on the third Monday of the month; Jen will submit an announcement to the Camrose Morning News in the Community Events section
➢ Parent’s group met on October 11; this group will try and meet on the second Mondays of the month
➢ First Friday of the month is Games Night and a potluck at Camrose United Church; Jen will extend an invitation to Camrose Pride Community
6. Collaboration with Seniors’ Coalition
➢ Seniors’ Coalition would like someone from Camrose Pride to work with them
➢ Seniors’ Chat in February or March: Jonathan has approached the Prime Timers to become involved
➢ We need a champion who can help us raise LGBTQ Seniors’ issues.
7. Holiday Celebration
➢ December 5 at 6:00 p.m.
➢ Potluck
➢ Bring Christmas music for carol singing and dancing
➢ Jen has booked the United Church Hall
➢ Mingle All the Way; socializing with games and music as people are inclined
➢ Action: Jen will create a Facebook Event for December 5

8. Planning for 2017

❖ Fostering Collaborations
➢ AQUA
➢ Bed Races – Open Door
➢ Seniors Coalition
➢ CDSS
➢ Library/Bunker
➢ Camrose Police
➢ United Church
➢ Manor at Ferintosh
➢ Primetimers
➢ Mental Health services

❖ Providing Education
➢ Seniors event with Michael Phair
➢ Human Library
➢ Resources on the website: counsellors
➢ Movie Night (all three categories)
➢ Ezines – capturing people’s experiences (hard copies)
➢ Marni Panas: Action: Carol to contact about Marni’s availability (Spring or Fall)
➢ Panel of people to talk about mental health supports for LGBTQ
➢ Community Registration Night

❖ Hosting Events
➢ BBQ
➢ Dance Party
➢ So You Think You Can Drag: AQUA
➢ Pride Week at Augustana
➢ Camp Out
➢ Canada 150/retro
➢ Bed Race
➢ Float in Big Valley Jamboree-contact TNeal for truck and flat bed if we decide to enter the parade
➢ Edmonton Pride
➢ Camp Fire at the Manor at Ferintosh
➢ espressOUT
➢ Family and Friends Support

9. Safe Spaces in Health Care may be addressed through some of our education events; we will return to this issue in the future

Meeting adjourned at 7:48 p.m.

espressOUT on Monday, November 21 5:00 – 6:30 at the Alice Hotel Restaurant

Next regular meeting is on December 5 at 6:00: Christmas Social

Our regular January meeting will be held on January 9 at 6:00 at the Camrose United Church (please note: this is not on the first Monday of the month as is our pattern.)

October 3, 2016 Meeting Minutes

Greetings and Introductions

  1. Camrose Pride Website is live as of October 3, 2016
    • Minutes will be posted; first names only will be used in the minutes
    • Camrosepride.ca
  2. Will follow the altView pattern for organization of meetings
    • 2 weeks prior to the meeting, a reminder will be sent out to members by email with a call for agenda items to be submitted
    • Call for reports; allows Jen time to copy
  3. Bed Race for Open Door
    • Is the group interested in participating?
    • Construction of a bed is needed
    • Carol will contact AQUA to ask if we can be on the agenda for their next meeting; Wayne and Carol will make a presentation to AQUA on October 6
    • Contact Wayne if interested in helping with the decoration of the bed and/or being on the team (5 people needed)
    • Paige is willing to help out, but not take charge
  4. Dance Party Updates
    • 102 tickets sold; probably close to 120 were in attendance
    • Robin Bank$ was marvelous as the Drag Queen
    • Well publicized with posters
    • Community support was evident in the donations of prizes
    • No alcohol needed to have a fun party
    • Financials are available and will be posted soon
  5. Financial situation updated
    • $1300 seed money from CDSS
    • Donation from AQUA and altView for the cost of the banner
    • $573 remaining after all revenue and expenses are calculated
  6. Seniors Coalition partnership possibilities
    • Concerns about LGBTQ people who are aging have been raised
    • Is there someone in the group who would write a column about what it is like to be an LGBTQ person who is aging in Camrose? Someone is needed by January.
    • Michael Phair recently presented at a Gray Matters conference and members of the Seniors’ Coalition are interested in hosting him to come and address a gathering;
    • The consensus of the group was to explore partnership possibilities with the Seniors’ Coalition.
    • Nora Lee and Jonathan will help CPC connect with a group called Prime Timers.
  7. Parent Meeting update
    • Met on September 26; small turn out, but not reflective of the interest
    • More publicity needed; Facebook page, Camrose Morning News
    • October 18 is the next scheduled meeting at Camrose United Church
    • Goal is to have a regular meeting date for this group
    • Spread the word to any parents/family members
    • Group is being called Family and Friends Support
  8. expressOUT
    • Next scheduled meeting is on Tuesday, October 11
    • The goal is to set a regular meeting date as the third Monday of the month
  9. Website update
    • Jen will be updating the website while she is on her road trip in October
    • Paige is willing to help gather resources to be posted online
    • Gus is willing to be an emergency contact to be accessed on the website
  10. Ideas for Upcoming Events/Planning
    • Small event for early December Potluck Social
    • Contact Jen if you are willing to help plan this event
    • Begin planning in November for upcoming events in 2017; map out the next year

Parking Lot:

  • Safe Spaces in Health Care; Everyone do some research and bring ideas to next meeting