Jan. 13, 2020

Camrose Pride Community
Date: Tuesday, Jan. 13, 2020    
Time: 6:00pm – 8:00pm    Place: Camrose Library, Irving Room
Attendance: Zach S., Gus B., Candy M., Nikki F., Lucas H, Robyn G, Amielle C.

  1. Introductions
  1. Financial Report/Bank Account
    1. The RBC account is open. 
    2. Received funds and last statement from CDSS. Passing to Treasurer to deposit and input into our new accounting spreadsheets.
    3. Online Banking is available to be used.
    4. Candy, our treasurer, has the transfer from CDSS and will deposit it immediately.
      1. The total is $2165.40 (minus one reimbursement o/s).
      2. Candy will get cheques when we receive society status.
      3. There is no report of changing funds.
  1. Society Status
    1. Our society status application came back with minor errors. We have corrected errors in signatures, everyone has signed, and Nikki will resend this week.
  1. Upcoming Events and Plans
    1. Pride Week Committee Update (Augustana) – Amielle C.
  • Bake Sale – Wednesday, February 26th at 11:00am to 3:00pm in the Augustana Forum
    • Candy and Gus agreed (in December) to make some baking for this.
    • If you know of someone else willing to bake and donate, please let them know. 
    • The baking can be anything, but please include ingredient lists.
  • LGBT Trivia – Tuesday, February 25th in the late morning/early afternoon in the Augustana Forum
    • In the past one of the science clubs have done some trivia, but that is quickly becoming dated.
    • AQUA has requested that CPC create questions for this casual trivia.
    • Lucas H. will make make a Google Doc to share with CPC and queer community members to crowd source questions.
    • Questions Possibilities:
      • Pronouns
      • Laws and Legislation
      • History (When did the Stonewall Riot take place? Who threw the first brick?)
      • Acronyms
      • Culture
      • Fetishes
  • Pride Week Committee (PWC): inquires if CPC would be willing to donate some funds to host throughout the week.
    • PWC is hoping to apply for a lot of funds in the coming weeks.
    • CPC may hold off on committing funds until our Strategic Planning meeting.
    • CPC donated $500 last year to Pride Week.
    • There is time to donate up until the event and afterwards for outstanding fees.
  • Key Speakers: James and Anthony from The Amazing Race Canada: Monday, February 24th at 6:00pm to 8:00pm in the Augustana Chapel
    • Tickets will be between $10-$15. AQUA will look into the option of creating donation options for tickets.
    • Students may be free or discounted fee (including primary, secondary, and post-secondary).
  • Pride Movies: Thursday, February 27th at 8:00pm at the Duggan Cinema
    • PWC requests that CPC members check what DVDs they have, as a DVD may be required for Public Performance Rights.
    • DVDs can also be rented from the library or the movie store. If you have suggestions, please forward them to Amielle.
  • Queer Art Making: Thursday, February 27th in the evening, location Wahkohtowin Lodge
  • So You Think You Can Drag: Friday, February 28th from 7:00pm-10:00pm at Bailey Theatre
    • Performers are needed; if you know interested parties, please connect them to Amielle C.
    • Drag attendance has been going up
    • Confirmed professional performers include Edmonton queens Sami, Armani, and Camrose queen Robyn Bank$.
    • AQUA hopes to have the sign-up sheet out by the end of January. 
    • Zach S. will inquire with drag colleagues in Edmonton about attending.
    • Zach will donate some prizes; if you know of other business that may be willing to donate, please connect them with Amielle C.
    • Nikki F informed us that in April the Unitarian Church of Edmon is having an Amateur Drag Show. This may be a good way to connect/cross-promote.
  • There will be QR Codes at all the events; each event attended is an entry to win prizes.
  • Organizations donating include:
    • Poe Da Lue
    • Travelling Tickle Trunk
    • Rebel Ink
  • Hockey Games will take place Sunday, February 23rd to start the week and Saturday, February 29th to end the week.
    • Amielle C. makes a motion for CPC to purchase a roll of pride tape for the Camrose Pride Week Hockey Games
      • Seconded by Nikki
      • Motion Carried
    • Nikki F. Will get Pride Tape for about $136.00/12 rolls and create an Expense Claim.
  • Advertising will begin next week. Please let your friends, family, and colleagues know.
  1. Strategic Planning Meeting: Friday, January 31st from 6:00pm to 9:00pm and Saturday, February 1st (day) (NOTE: LEADERSHIP TEAM ONLY)
    1. Location TBD
    2. Leadership members please consider the following to prepare for the meeting:
      1. What is your vision for Camrose Pride Community in the next:
        1. 1 year?
        2. 5 years?
        3. 10 years?
        4. 20 years?
      2. What changes should be made to our Mission, Vision, and Value Statements?
      3. What future partnerships with what organizations do you envision?
      4. What events or activities would you like to work towards?
  2. Pride in the Park
    1. Camrose Recreation Guide wants March to August activities and was wondering if we had a date for our Pride in the Park
    2. CPC has decided on Saturday, June 20th 2:00pm to 6:00pm at Jubilee Park
      1. This is the same date as Art in the Park, which could increase visibility and create a future partnership.
  1. Meeting Locations: Room at the Library for 2020
    1. Bunker can be booked for most of the year, but not in the summer months (May, June, July, August).
    2. Irving Room is most likely not going to be able to be booked for our meetings this year, with all the other groups in need of it.
    3. The Irving Room is booked for February 10, 2020.
    4. Amielle C. will look into booking conference rooms at Augustana during the summer months.
    5. Amielle C. will look into booking a conference room for our Strategic Planning Session for Friday, January 31st and Saturday, February 1st .
    6. Amielle C. will look into booking student study rooms for meetings in the future. 
  1. United Church
    1. The United Church has requested a follow-up/debriefing on the experience with Pam Rocker.
    2. They are wanting to meet and go through the Church, asking for input on how they can become more PIE (Public, Intentional, Explicit) in their support of the queer community. 
      1. They would like two members of the Pride Community for this
      2. They also want us to potentially bring ideas to them, such as:
        1. What is their advertising like?
    3. AQUA has a Queer Folks of the Bible during Pride Week with Pastor Craig.
      1. Nikki would like to put together an interfaith queer group.
    4. Candy is already there from 1:00pm to 5:00pm on Sundays, which may be a good time. Lucas is available on Sundays as well. Nikki will contact about potential Sundays available to the United Church.
  2. Camrose Community Group Grant
    1. Can we meet the deadline, which is Jan. 20? Maybe we should look for the following one in June.
    2. Pride in the Park would fall into the time period, but also would fall in the next granting period’s timeline.
    3. Art Therapy Group: Alberta Society for the Promotion of Sexual Health funded Nikki $2,000 for an art therapy group to be run through Canadian Mental Health for pre-teens to adults. This may be a great opportunity to shore up the necessary funds to start this group.
    4. CPC members are also interested in potentially creating a future ArtHive, which would act as a free art space for community members. 
  1. Upcoming Regular Meetings
    1. Regular Meeting for Planning and Connection
      1. Feb. 10, 2020
        1. Amielle C. will look into finding space.
    2. EspressOUT
      1. Monday, January 27, 2020 5:30pm – 7:00pm
        1. Location: Camrose Coffee
        2. Gus will remind Sarah.
        3. Alternate Location if ever needed: BP’s Lounge
    3. Friends and Family Meeting
      1. Next meeting is Feb. 3rd, 2020
        1. 1st Monday of every month, Irving Room at the Library, 6:30pm-8 (new start time)
  1. Sharing Circle

November 12, 2019

Camrose Pride Community
Date: Tuesday, Nov 12, 2019
Time: 6:00pm – 8:00pm
Place: Camrose Public Library Irving Meeting Room

Attendance: Gus B., Nikki F., Lucas H., Stephen, Zack S., Robyn G., Amielle C., Ron

  1. Introductions
  2. Pride Committee Update (Augustana) – Amielle
    1. 2 meetings about Pride Week – February
    2. Mayoral Hall at Augustana booked for the Monday night.
    3. CPC is invited to all events. If you have suggestions for more events, or would like to take part, please contact Amielle C. 
    4. Events:
      1. Bake Sale
      2. So You Think You Can Drag
      3. Pride Photo – Thursday
      4. Tickle Trunk
      5. Art Therapy – Queer Paint Night
      6. Zine Making Workshop
      7. Monday, February 24th at 9:00am at Bill Fowler – Flag Raising (guaranteed every year)
      8. Augustana will also have a flag raising, probably at about 10:00am
      9. Movie at Duggan. If you have suggestions, please give them to Amielle C. 
      10. Pride Hockey Game on first Sunday and last Sunday 
    5. There is another meeting on November 19th. If you’d like to join, please contact Amielle C. 
  3. Augustana Climate Strike
    1. Friday, November 29th, 1:30pm at Camrose City Hall from Augustana Campus.
    2. October’s strike had about 200 people involved.
    3. The strikers will provide actionable points to City Hall. 
    4. Camrose is a Blue Dot city and has goals. 
    5. There will also be a letter writing campaign. If interested, please contact Amielle C. Amielle C. Will give information to Nikki F. To send out to everyone.
  4. Financial Report / Bank Account
    1. Update: Open a Camrose Pride Bank Account & Assign Signing Authority
      1. Appointment made, Nov. 14th at TD Bank, 10am – Nikki & Candy to open account
      2. Minutes from last meeting were signed by signatories. Gus, Zach, Lucas & Candy
        1. They will be provided to the financial institution – Once the bank account is opened, each Signatory will have to go to the bank and sign the bank’s documents. Once this is complete, we can transfer all funds from CDSS, and our Treasurer (Candy) will handle the finances. 
    2. Pastor Deborah has been invoiced from Pam Rocker. 
    3. CPC will pay around $400 for travel expenses to Pam Rocker. 
  5. Upcoming Events and Plans
    1. Fall Family Dance Party – THIS SATURDAY! Nov. 16th, 7-10pm
      1. Tickets – Everyone buy your tickets! And SHARE the event on social media please!
      2. Door Prizes update
        1. Haven – Nikki F.
        2. Rebel Ink – Zach S.
        3. Fox and Fable – Amielle C.
        4. Fika – Amielle C.
        5. Retro – Carmen
        6. Evolve – Zach S.
        7. Duggan Cinema – Zach S.
        8. Trish’s Fashion and Finery – Zach S.
      3. Nikki will be on the country radio station with Ethan on Thursday. 
      4. Quantum has only sold one ticket. 
      5. Volunteers please arrive at 6:00pm
      6. Lucas will pick up streamers and Go-go lights from Dollarama.   
      7. Nikki F. Will bring a cash box and float.  
  6. Pam Rocker Update – THIS SUNDAY!!! Nov. 17thEVERYONE SHARE THE EVENTS!
    1. Sunday 10am – Sermon at the United Church, potluck lunch to follow
      1. Burnt Toast for the Journey with Pam Rocker

        What does Burnt Toast have to do with a celebration of difference? How do we move beyond what we ever thought we could? Is it worth it to risk being a little uncomfortable? Did Jesus eat gluten? Join Pam Rocker for storytelling and exploring the sacred and unique ways we can see each other.
    2. Sunday 1:30-3pm – Workshop at the Bethel Lutheran (near Duggan Park) 4102 73rd Street
      1. Coming Out In Faith: A Look at Religion, Inclusion, and PIE

        Buzzwords like ‘inclusivity’ and ‘diversity’ abound, yet the tangible actions behind them often go unexplored. Religion at large has imposed artificial binaries that have fractured our sense of kinship and belonging, especially for LGBTQ2S+ people and other communities who have been considered antithetical to genuine faith.
        And what about PIE?! The acronym of PIE (Public, Intentional, Explicit) embodies a guiding map and litmus test for people who want to be more tangibly affirming, whether as an individual or organization.
  7. CSL Placements Update
    1. They both will be volunteering at the dance on Saturday – a turn at the door selling tickets and will stay to help clean up at 10pm. Daniella and Kyla
    2. Research projects: – They are in progress
      1. Best Practices for Safe Spaces Allyship Agreements
      2. List of Support Groups – local area for Queer folks within faith groups with traditional homophobia literature 
  8. Upcoming Regular Meetings
    • Regular Meeting for Planning and Connection
    • XMAS POTLUCK/ugly sweater – Monday, December 9th, 2019 6:00pm – 8:00pm at Zack’s house. Everyone is invited. 
    • EspressOUT
      • Monday, November 25th, 2019 5:30pm – 7:00pm
      • Location: Camrose Coffee 
      • Theme: Holiday 
      • No EspessOUT in December
    • Friends and Family Meeting
      • Next meeting is December 2nd
      • 1st Monday of every month, Irving Room at the Library, 6pm
    • Beers for Queers
      • December 13th at Fox and Fable
      • Tickets $7 on Eventbrite at the Aqua Facebook Page
  9. Sharing Circle

October 15, 2019

Camrose Pride Community
Date: Tuesday, Oct 15, 2019
Time: 6:00pm – 8:00pm
Place: Camrose Public Library Bunker Meeting Room
In attendance: Zach, Lucas, Ron, Amielle, Stephen, Nikki, Dawn, Candy (via telephone), Deborah Ann (Bethel Lutheran), Lindsay (Bethel Lutheran), Kyla (CSL Student), Danielle (CSL Student), 

  1. Introductions
  1. Financial Report / Bank Account
    1. Margaret (CDSS Banker) states nothing has changed since last month’s Financial Report – CDSS is in review and preparing everything for transfer.
    2. We must transfer to operating our own bank account and finances.
    3. Candy motions to give signing authority of new bank account and give signing authority to:
      1. Co-chair: Gus Belcourt
      2. Co-chair: Zach Stevens
      3. Secretary: Lucas Hill
      4. Treasurer: Candy Morningway
      5. Motion seconded by Amielle Christopherson
      6. Motion passes unanimously.
    4. Nikki will make the initial interaction to get it set up, and each of the signing authorities will go to the bank to sign. She will begin with TD Bank because of their pro-queer culture.
    5. These minutes will become the official document that will be signed by all the cosigners and provided to the financial institution.
    6. After the bank account is set up we will transfer all funds from CDSS to our CPC bank account.
  1. Society Status
    1. Update – The cheque sent with our application was cashed, so we know they received it! No other communication has been received as of yet. The email used is the CPC email, so it should not be lost. We are hopeful!
  1. Upcoming Events and Plans
    1. 4th Annual Fall Family Dance Party – Saturday, November 16th, 7:00pm to 10:00pm
      1. Event is booked at Retro
      2. DJ is booked 
        1. Duane Allen
          Allenhouse Wedding & Sound
          780-278-2723
      3. Poster is complete and ready to be shared:
        1. Nikki will send the poster to Stephen, who works at Staples and will use his discount to print them off.
        2. Nikki will pick-up the posters from Stephen and deliver to CentraCam to distribute around Camrose.
      4. Advertising:
        1. Nikki makes a motion to spend up to $130 for the Morning News advertisement
          1. Amielle seconds the motion
          2. Motion is unanimously passed.
        2. Nikki will contact the Morning News and have them place an add for 5 days
      5. Tickets are at Retro and at Quantum Comics:
        1. There is a limit of 150 people in Retro, so we cannot sell over that. 
        2. Please remind friends and family to purchase early.
        3. We have decided not to use Event Brite.
      6. Decorations:
        1. Lucas will get streamers and glow sticks.
      7. Performers
        1. Robyn Bank$
        2. Sir Racha
      8. Door Prizes
        1. If anybody knows any business or gift certificates, please ask them about potentially getting door prizes.
        2. Lucas will make a Google Sheets, and it will be shared so that we don’t all hit up the same place.
        3. We will not canvas at the grocery stores that supported our BBQ Pride in the Park, because their support is more valuable there. 
      9. Accessibility
        1. The event is wheelchair accessible
  1. Pam Rocker – Sunday, November 17th, 2019
    1. Pam is working with the United Church on the sermon
    2. The Bethel Lutheran has agreed to offer us their space for the afternoon workshop, but does not want to be listed as a sponsor as they are uncomfortable with it due to not being familiar with Pam Rocker’s work yet.
      1. There is a maximum size of 200 people at the Bethel Church.
        1. They said they would also provide cookies! 
      2. Members of the Bethel have pledged funds to cover the majority, if not all, of the afternoon workshop fee.
        1. Deborah Ann will send the names of people who are involved in funds to have Pam at the Bethel Lutheran to Nikki.
      3. The United Church will be spearheading the luncheon at the United Church. 
      4. Nikki has sent Pam Rocker an email asking for details on what the workshop will be about, for advertising – She has asked for our take on the name of the workshop name, and we have decided on:
        1. Coming Out in Faith: A Look at Religion, Faith, and PIE
      5. We will start sharing and promoting the event soon.
        1. Nikki will connect with Zach on creating the poster. Nikki will do the social media aspect of it.
  1. Winter Holidays – Events – Queer Family Ugly Sweater Pot Luck
    1. In their past we have done a potluck in the United Church in the lower parlour/fellowship hall. 
    2. Amielle suggests that we have dinner party potluck at the same time as our December meeting, which is Monday, December 9th. Location: TBD. It will be an ugly Christmas sweater party. 
  1. Pride Week – Last week of February, 2020
    1. Amielle is a member of the AQUA Exec. AQUA has not gotten very far in the planning process quite yet, but is having a meeting this week. 
    2. Melissa has been invited to come talk with us about what they are planning
    3. We hope that we can volunteer our time to help organize and set-up events and the like. 
    4. Nikki is excited about the opportunity of doing an art therapy workshop.
    5. It was nice last year that it was throughout the whole city. We hope to support them in continuing that.
    6. We hope to involve the QSAs at the schools as well, as it would be nice to have all the queer organizations in Camrose working together. Opening night is that week. What would the QSA like to do?
    7. Lucas will get a list of all the QSAs, and we will create a personal invite to see what they would like to do/have done
    8. Please everyone, think about any ways you can participate and help.
  2. AQUA is doing a Reading with Royalty event: Spooking Edition – 18+
    1. Date: October 25th, 8:00pm- 10:00pm at Augustana Performance Building
    2. Performers:
      1. Sir Racha
      2. Robyn Bank$
    3. Zach is adding an educational element as well. 
    4. For grownups and by donations. 
  3. Aqua is doing Beers for Queers in the second Friday of the month, starting November. The first will be Friday, November 8th at the Fox and Fable. The details are still being worked out. 
  4. Nikki would like to do a Queer paint night in the new year
  1. Strategic planning session – Dates are booked with Michael!
    1. Friday, January 31, 2020 5-9pm and Saturday Feb 1st, 2020, 10-4pm; location TBD
    2. This is where we will be planning for the future (5 year, 10 year, 20 year). For the Leadership Team only!
      1. Would be great to talk with the membership – maybe send out a social media invite – to see what vision they have for the Community prior to this meeting
  1. New Poly in the Prairies Facebook Group created under altView.
    1. To avoid splitting/fracturing of the CPC, the connection group was created by altView so that it exists outside of the CPC. Poly queer humans have expressed having a hard time finding each other in the local Camrose and area community, without having to ‘out’ themselves are every event. This FB group gives them a way to do so – please share the group with any Poly humans you know in the area! 
  1. CSL Placements – Welcome!
    1. Research projects:
      1. Nikki will be the supervisor for our two students. Nikki had sent the project ideas to the students.
      2. Best Practices for Safe Spaces Allyship Agreements
      3. List of Support Groups – local area for queer folks within faith groups with traditional homophobic literature 
  1. Fire Ceremony Debrief – Friday night before long weekend.
    1. Attended by 4.
    2. There were drums, fire, and it was very affirming. 
  1. CommUNITY Healing Workshop Debrief
    1. Co-facilitated by Candy and Nikki.
    2. There were 2 officers, staff sergeant, and members of the queer community. The two uniformed officers were called and had to leave early.
    3. There was a validation of homophobia in law enforcement and in our laws. It validated the past and moved to what we wanted in the future.
    4. There was focus on the othering of each groups experiences by other members of the community. There was a focus on both the similarities and differences of those experiences. We focused on what was contributed by both communities. There was a lot of impact. 
    5. Both communities are excited moving forward with what they have learned. 
    6. Nikki will talk to the force about opportunities for Pride Week
  1. Upcoming Regular Meetings
  1. Regular Meeting for Planning and Connection
    1. Tuesday, November 12th, 2019 6:00pm – 8:00pm at the Camrose Public Library Irving Room
    2. October and November meeting dates have been rescheduled with the Library to work around statutory holidays. 
  1. EspressOUT
    1. Monday, October 28th, 2019 5:30pm – 7:00pm
      1. Location: Camrose Coffee 
      2. Theme: Divination theme! Hallows!
  1. Friends and Family Meeting
    1. They have returned to regular meetings starting October 7th. Next meeting is November 4th
      1. 1st Monday of every month, Irving Room at the Library, 6pm
  1. Sharing Circle
  1. Breaking Bread

August 12, 2019

Camrose Pride CommunityDate:
Monday, August 12th, 2019
Time 6:00pm – 8:00pm
Place: Camrose Public Library Irving Meeting Room
Attendance: Gus B., Nikki F., Lucas H., Stephen, Pastor John Helps (United Church), Brian Nelson (United Church), Zack, Erika, Candy M. (via phone), Robyn G., Amielle C., Ron
Regrets: Margaret H.

  1. Introductions
  2. Guest – Erika – Community Service Learning (CSL) Student for Fall 2009
    1. Student Advisor
      1. Erika works with classes to pair students with community organizations.  Augustana has a course coming up in Human Sexuality and Intimate Relationships taught by Professor Sean Moore, who has been involved with CPC in the past.
      2. Students work for about 20 hours over the semester in whatever way is most beneficial to the organization they’re working with. It is a mututally beneficial relationship, with the student gaining relevant real world experience.
      3. Erika and Dr. Moore are looking for an organization to work with from October to December.
      4. Students can potentially help with events, work on a resource, etc.
    2. Ideas
      1. The student could research best practices in other communities about reaffirming churches
        1. Pastor John Helps suggested a starting point could be the United Church’s Affirming Ministries Program.
        2. He also suggested that many Anglican churches are affirming.
      2. Candy told us there have been student workers with About Time Productions in the past with success.
    3. Supervisor/Contact
      1. Nikki will be the supervisor/contact of the students.
    4. The students are invited to attend meetings.
  3. Guest – Zack Stevens/Robyn Bank$
    1. Fall Bank$ Ball – Saturday, September 7th, 2019
      1. This will be the second annual Fall Bank$ Ball, which is a counterpoint to pair with Augustana’s So You Think You Can Drag in February. There will be some Edmonton drag queens, as well as Camrose’s Sir Racha
      2. Location: Bailey Theatre
      3. Age:14+/Parental Discretion
      4. Sponsorship?
      5. There will be numbered tickets for door prizes and more!
    2. Volunteer Opportunities (free entry!)
      1. Work the front
        1. Ticket sales, etc.
      2. Security
      3. DJ
        1. Tom Merklinger
      4. Decorating – before and after
      5. There are already 6 confirmed volunteers.
    3. Zack will send poster to Nikki to share especially with Erika at Augustana who will both make call outs for volunteers.
  4. BVJ Parade Debrief (TW: Hate Speech)
    1. Hate Signs/Chalk in front of Library during Reading with Royalty
      1. There were two separate posters that stated Bring Rainbows Back to God and God Hates Gays They were held by two protestors who are confirmed as being the same people who protested the Camrose Public Library’s Reading with Royalty and were subsequently banned from the library.
      2. The protestors are from a cult called Superhuman Divinity Ministry. They appear to be the only members. They post extensively to social media, escalating their hate speech.
      3. Pastor John Helps told us the United Church has been receiving monthly packages pushing an anti-gay and anti-Islamic position for over a year now. The United Church would like to take a more public stance against homophobia and hate speech. They have alerted the police about this issue.
    2. Support
      1. Pastor Deborah of Bethel Lutheran sent in her support.
      2. Colleen (Friends and Family) sent in her support from United.
      3. Open Door has also expressed support, stating the cult has been banned from Open Door.
    3. Options
      1. Ignore
        1. We would refrain from sending energy and from giving press.
      2. Responsive Statement
        1. “He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
        2. We would like to create a message of love, affirmation, and support. This response would also acknowledge and focus on the support of the wider Camrose community in light of recent events. We want to emphasize that we are very thankful for the community support. We would also like to take this as an opportunity to promote ourselves and speak to what we have been doing in the community. We take this seriously, and the safety of our community is of the utmost importance to us. We can use this conflict as an opportunity to educate and reduce risk. We would like to avoid escalation.
        3. PIE: Public. Intentional. Explicit.
      3. Response Venues
        1. Social Media
        2. Booster
        3. Community Event
    4. Nikki will speak to our police liaison, John, about this soon.
    5. The United Church would like to join in on our response. We can ask other community organizations, churches, libraries, and the police. We would also like to contact the Camrose County.
    6. Robyn Bank$ wonders about having increased security for the Fall Banks Ball. The Camrose Police Service have been proactive in the past about supporting the LGBTQ+ community. Nikki will contact our police liaison to ask for extra support during the event.
    7. The United Church has asserted that they could be an affirming space in the presence of next year’s parade as the protestors were located near the church.
  5. Guest – The United Church
    1. Pastor John Helps
      1. The United Church is committed to affirming congregations
    2. Speaker – Pam Rocker (Calgary) – Sunday, November 17th
      1. Fees: $1,000 for the day
        1. ~$300-400 for sermon
        2. ~$300-400 for following workshop
          1. Could/should the workshop has a fee to mitigate costs?
      2. Pam Rocker works with people who have undergone conversion therapy.
      3. Gus will contact Pam Rocker as soon as possible. Nikki will let everyone know once we have confirmation of Pam Rocker and the Fall Family Dance dates.
      4. Ellen from Bethel Lutheran church is hoping to share cost. Gus will contact Bethel Lutheran about donations/sharing cost.
      5. The United Church can host Pam Rocker as a guest pastor. They have expressed that space is often the easiest thing for them to provide to support the community. Their sanctuary holds up to 300 people.
      6. They can potentially rally donations via collection place.
    3. Gus hopes to address which churches are affirming in Camrose
      1. There are a range of churches in Camrose, some more affirming than others. It is a potentially awkward subject.
      2. CSL student(s) could potentially do some research within the community.
      3. Pastor John Helps will inquire with his church if the United Church can give any donations (by have Pam Rocker as a designated guest pastor). John will contact Nikki afterwards. We’re thinking about 300 or 400 dollars. John will let Nikki know at the end of the week.
    4. Publicity
      1. How can we broadcast LGBT affirmations to the wider community as the United Church?
  6. Fall Family Dance – Tentative Date: Saturday, November 16th
    1. Space
      1. Bailey Theatre is completely booked. What are some alternative spaces? In the future, we will aim to book the Bailey Theatre earlier, as it offers lightning, bartending, and more.
      2. Alternative Spaces
        1. Elks Hall has been a venue in the past
        2. Retro is queer friendly and Carmen is vocal about supporting the LGBTQ+ community. There is a stage and a bar. They have discounted rate with a non-profit. Gus will contact Retro about potentially hosting once we have confirmation on Pam Rocker’s date.
        3. United Church
    2. We will pair the Fall Family Dance with Pam Rocker to make a whole weekend of LGBTQ+ affirmation.
  7. Camp fYrefly Resource Fair Debrief
    1. While it was nice to be there, interest waned as most students were from Edmonton.
    2. It would be nice for future CPC promotion tables to have some sort of ‘swag’.
    3. Swag Options
      1. Buttons: CPL says it is about 2 cents a button. We could borrow a button maker from the library or About Time Productions..
      2. Branded swag from places like Vista Print. It would be less expensive to bundle an order with another organization. Robyn will let us know the next time the library orders swag.
    4. Nikki – Art Therapy Workshop – Coming Out Stories/Staying in Stories
      1. It was a success, but promoted more questions: How do allies come out? Can we have stories of people who have shifted from homophobia to places of love?
  8. Reading with Royalty Debrief
    1. Success! There were about 70 kids, which is an increase from last year. Candy brought ATPs whole camp. Some kids said they had the best day of their life.
    2. Melissa (Sir Racha) unfortunately couldn’t make it, but will come next year.
    3. See above about protests.
    4. The library would love to have people write letters of support for Reading with Royalty! Please send them to the library. Emails are acceptable. Please send emails to rgray@prl.ab.ca.
  9. Haven Art Therapy Update
    1. There is a pilot group in the works
      1. Alberta Society for the Promotion of Sexual Health (ASPSH) Donation
        1. Tracy Burnett for ASPSH contacted Nikki in June. Donated $2,000 to CMHA in partnership with Haven Art Therapy and CPC for pilot group. Once we have a society we can receive donations of a similar ilk.
        2. The pilot gorup Must be run through Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) framework.
        3. Calgary has a queer centered art therapy group that could be something to model ourselves after. While Nikki can do the therapy part, a community member can be involved as well as support.
      2. Date: There is no date as of yet.
      3. Space: There is no space as of yet.
      4. Age: 16+ intergenerational
      5. Attendance: 10-15 people max
  10. Leadership Positions
    1. Melissa has declined our co-chair offer.
    2. Gus nominates Candy Morningway as new treasurer. Seconded by Amielle.
      1. Candy would like to make the caveat that she is involved with 4 other boards,and would like to maintain a positive work life balance. Margaret has been doing it with CDSS. Margaret will continue being our banker until we have received our status. Candy will contact Margaret about learning her new position.
    3. Gus nominates Zach Stevens as co-chair of CPC. Candy seconds this. Gus will contact Zach Stevens about learning his new position.
  11. Society Status
    1. There is still at least a 7 month backlog.
    2. Nikki had us sign documents for society status. These were also signed by our new co-chair.
    3. After we receive status, there will be an annual return/update required. That is where changes are noted.
    4. It is important to be aware that we are becoming a society, not a charitable organization. We cannot give out charitable receipts, among other restrictions. 
  12. Financial Report
    1. We still have about $3,200.
    2. Nikki will send an email to Margaret about the new treasurer. Margaret will teach Candy about her new position.
    3. Amielle suggest a biannual meeting of planning and budgeting to be a Strategic Planning committee. We need a strategic plan.
    4. Strategic Plan/Annual Calendar
      1. Once we have an Annual Calendar we can do project planning around that.
      2. Michael from Altview will support the creation of a Strategic Plan and will come to Camrose to support that once we have society status. 
  13. Community Event Registration – Thursday, September 5th
    1. Amielle and Lucas will be attending
    2. Lucas will bring trifold, and will update the upcoming events area with the Robyn Bank$ Ball.
    3. Lucas will bring table cloth and get rainbow flags from Gus to decorate table.
    4. Lucas will print email sign up list.
    5. Lucas will print little handouts again.
    6. Amielle and Lucas will be in contact about creating some swag with the CPL’s button maker.
  14. Regular Meetings
    1. ExpressOUT
      1. Monday, August 26th, 2019 – 5:30pm – 7:00pm
      2. Theme: Colouring – Please, bring your own colouring pages/books!
      3. Reminder: ExpressOUT is all ages! Social Gathering of all people that are queer and/or allied. Please let people know.
    2. Regular Meeting for Planning and Connection
      1. Monday, September 9th, 2019 6:00pm – 8:00pm
      2. Where: Camrose Public Library Irving Meeting Room
      3. October and November meeting dates have been rescheduled with the library to work around stats
        1. Tuesdays, October 15th, and Tuesday, November 12th, 2019
    3. Friends and Family Meeting
      1. Monday, October 7th, 2019
      2. Andrea Dyck with the BRSD is very open to working with us to accomplish tasks. Lucas will ensure she is kept in the loop about things that are happening with CPC.
  15. Agend Items for Next Meeting
    1.  Biannual Strategic Planning Meeting
  16. Sharing Circle

May 13, 2019 Meeting Minutes

Date: Monday, May 13th, 2019
Time: 6:00pm – 8:00pm
Place: Camrose Public Library Irving Meeting Room
Attendees: 6
Nikki F. and Wayne W. send their regrets

  1. Introductions and Updates
  2. Representative from TD Bank
    1. Unfortunately, the TD Bank group invited did not attend. They were invited because Gus had received a phone call saying that because the Edmonton Pride Centre Parade has been cancelled, the TD Bank would like to donate some funds to rural communities hosting pride events. Camrose is a contender, and may be eligible for up to $25,000. We will push this back to a later date.
  3. Leadership Team Positions Open
    1. The Treasurer position is still open.
      1. Margaret H. will continue being the banker until the Treasurer position is filled. Margaret would like to point out that she is retiring in May of 2020, at which point priorities could change.
      2. Reminder: Margaret H., our banker, will be away from May 27th, 2019 to July 7th, 2019, at which point funds will be out of reach. This is during our Pride BBQ and preparations for our parade float.
    2. Amielle was voted in as Member-at-Large.
    3. Robyn was voted in as second Member-at-Large, until another Leadership Team Member can be found to replace her. Robyn cannot commit to too much moving forward.
    4. We are still looking for a co-chair.
    5. At current, the leadership stands as:
      1. Lead Chair: Gus
      2. Secretary: Lucas
      3. Treasurer/Banker: Margaret (through CDSS)
      4. Member-at-Large: Amielle
      5. Member-at-Large: Robyn
    6. Nikki remains as support through the AltView foundation.
    7. We have voted to post our bylaws on our website in an easily accessible place, as opposed to a dropbox. A downloadable PDF is also needed.
  4. Financial Report
    1. We currently have $2,713.87.
    2. Revenue still includes ~$500 from CDSS every year, which may or may not continue when Margaret retires.
    3. Nikki has received the $500 for the BBQ. She will keep track of receipts and everything. Margaret will do the paperwork to ensure the $500 comes out of our total.
  5. Society Status
    1. The bylaws we currently have attached to our application will remain the bylaws after we gain society status. Changing them will require a process. For now, the online posted bylaws are what we follow.
    2. Gus will update once there is a change to our society status. Until then, we will wait patiently.
  6. Upcoming Events and Plans
    1. BBQ in June – Jubilee Park – Sunday, June 16th, 2019 3:00pm – 8:00pm
      1. Timeline:
        1. 3:00pm: General Gathering
        2. 4:30pm: BBQ
        3. 6:00pm: Candle Vigil
        4. 7:00pm: Healing Fire Ceremony
      2. City permit approved
      3. The cost of the BBQ in the previous years has been as follows:
        1. 2016 – $556
        2. 2017 – $271
        3. 2018 – $281
      4. Please share the news as much as possible, including on Facebook and please share the Facebook event itself.
      5. Amielle and Margaret will be gone at that time.
      6. Posters
        1. Previously, CDSS did posters for free, which is what we have done in the past in an A4 size.
        2. Carol had also gotten posters printed inexpensively at Augustana, including the Cabaret posters. Margaret will double-check the price in our financial records.
        3. We have in the past paid $25 to CentraCam to have them posted. They prefer to receive the posters the week before we would like them posted. If we want them up in the first week of June, they must be given to CentraCam in the last week of May. Margaret is gone after the 27th of May. Nikki, please have the posters sent to Margaret by May 25th at the absolute latest, so that they can be printed by Margaret and taken to CentraCam. Margaret will send an e-mail to Nikki as a reminder as well.
      7. Donations
        1. Sam with Camrose Directory has agreed to donate bottles of water. Thank you Gus for finding that out.
        2. Lucas has agreed to ask for donations from Co-op, Safeway, and Save-On Foods managers. Nikki will make all documents of the Pride Community available to him and other members, in hopes of sharing previous year’s templates of cover letters.
        3. Documents from last year will also include the numbers. What were the numbers from last year? Gus suggested about 100 hamburgers.
        4. If there are no documents from last year about who donated what and in what amount, Margaret may be able to look at expenses in the past.
        5. We are hoping to get donations of condiments, buns, cheese, veggies, hot dogs, burgers, and watermelons.
        6. Rebecca helped significantly in the previous years. She is unable to help this year. Sarah, the host of Camrose Coffee, will be asked by Gus about helping cook the food.
      8. Food
        1. Carol had allowed us to use her deep-freeze previous to save left-over food. Unfortunately, we no longer have that option. Left-overs will be donated to either the Women’s Shelter or the Open Door.
        2. Nikki is contacting AHS about rules around the food service. She will also ask about coolers needed for raw meets and thermometers. What has been done about coolers in the past?
        3. We also need to ensure we have gluten-free burgers, veggie dogs, veggie trays, etc. for people with restricted diets.
        4. The burgers will be available by donation.
      9. While Amielle had raised the notion of creating some sort of visual (like a thermometer) to track donations towards the CPC and had hoped for a specific goal to work towards, without Carol donating a full days work every week towards the CPC, we are going to have difficulty maintaining our previous presence within the city. Our goals this year are mostly to maintain what we have achieved in the past three years and continue having a presence within the community. Currently our events generally pay for themselves, and we are doing okay in terms of money. We will table a discussion about the goals and future of the CPC until we have received society status and we are all more comfortable with our roles.
      10. Nikki F. is still heading the BBQ Subcommittee with AltView.
      11. We still need volunteers to cook.
      12. Who will decorate?
    2. BVJ Pride Parade – Sunday, August 4th, 2019
      1. $500 had been approved from last meeting for petty cash for the parade.
      2. Amielle has not yet asked Tish about using her convertible as she wasn’t sure about having a driver. Gus has agreed to drive the car. Amielle will ask Tish to use it.
      3. Float
        1. While we had floated the idea of creating some large, without knowing if we have money from TD Bank, we have to plan for something more manageable for the time-availability and budget of our team.
        2. Prior floats have included trucks and flatbeds with palm trees that won 1st place in our first year. They also have included just the car and many walkers. That is probably what we will do this year.
        3. Amielle and Margaret will work on official aspects of the parade including insurance when Margaret comes back from France. The deadline is July 14th.
        4. Lucas and Amielle will meet up to discuss matters related to providing drag/dress-up materials for the float. We are thinking perhaps a Tickle Trunk would be a great way to get people involved and feeling comfortable.
      4. Guests
        1. Amielle will ask Robyn Banks and Sir Racha to be our special guests and walk in drag. This will encourage all participants to do drag/dress-up.
        2. The Kodiaks walked with us last year. Amielle will ask if they would like to again. We still have the pride tape from last year to wrap around their hockey sticks.
      5. Decorations
        1. We have many rainbow pompoms from the previous year and other decorations that will be used to decorate the vehicle.
        2. We also have a pride banner that can be carried from last year.
        3. We are thinking of perhaps ordering stickers from Vistaprint.com of the new Pride Loonie, that we can then stick on Chocolate Loonies to give out to people.
  7. Community Registration Night
    1. Thursday, September 5th, evening.
    2. Amielle and Lucas have volunteered to sit with the booth and promote the Pride Community.
  8. Upcoming Regular Meetings
    1. EspressOUT
      1. Monday, May 27th, 2019 5:30pm – 7:30pm
        1. Gus b. Will ask Sarah from Camrose Coffee about hosting us again this month. It will be nice to have it consistently in the same place.
    2. Friends and Family Meeting
      1. They will not be meeting for June, July, August, and September. They will return to regular meetings in October.
    3. Regular Meeting for Planning and Connection
      1. Monday, June 10th,, 2019 6:00pm – 8:00pm at the Camrose Public Library Irving Room.
  9. Sharing Circle
  10. Meeting adjourned: 7:20pm