August 12th, 2019

Camrose Pride Community
Date: Monday, August 12, 2019
Time: 6:00pm – 8:00pm
Place: Camrose Public Library Irving Meeting Room

  • Introductions
  • Erika – CSL students for Fall 2019
  • Zack – Fall Bank$ Ball – sponsorship? Volunteers?
  • BVJ Parade debrief
    • Response to hate signs at parade/chalk out front of library – should we do a public response or ignore it?
    • Have received supportive inquiry from the Colleen Nelson at the United Church, they will support us in any way they can and wanted to check in on how we were doing with the parade hate signs
  • Camp fYrefly Resource Fair Debrief
  • Reading with Royalty Debrief
  • Haven Art Therapy Update – Art therapy pilot group in the works – looking to create a peer facilitator position from the community. Details to come
  • UPDATES: Leadership Team Positions
    • At current, the leadership stands as:
      • Lead Chair: Gus
      • Co-Chair – OPEN – any ideas of who to approach? Melissa has declined
      • Secretary: Lucas
      • Treasurer/Banker: Margaret (through CDSS) is transitioning. Candy Morningway has been invited to become Treasurer – response:
      • Member-at-Large: Amielle
      • Member-at-Large: Robyn
    • Nikki remains as support through the AltView foundation.
  • Financial Report
    • Margaret sends regrets.
    • Nikki has requested she email the Financial Report in to be presented tonight.
  • Society Status
    • Update – signatures on document application
  • Upcoming Events and Plans
    • Community Registration Night, Thursday, September 5th evening – Lucas & Amielle will have our table
      • What do we need?
    • Fall Family Dance – Bailey is booked up and hasno room. Do we want to look at another location? A different date/season?
  • Upcoming Regular Meetings
    • Regular Meeting for Planning and Connection
      • Monday, September 9th, 2019 6:00pm – 8:00pm at the Camrose Public Library Irving Room
      • October and November meeting dates have been rescheduled with the Library to work around stats:
        1. Tuesdays, October 15, and November 12, 2019
    • EspressOUT
      • Monday, August 26th, 2019 5:30pm – 7:30pm
        • Location: Camrose Coffee
        • Theme: Tarot night? Colouring Party?
    • Friends and Family Meeting
      • They will not be meeting for June, July, August, and September. They will return to regular meetings in October.
  • Sharing Circle

May 13, 2019 Meeting Minutes

Date: Monday, May 13th, 2019
Time: 6:00pm – 8:00pm
Place: Camrose Public Library Irving Meeting Room
Attendees: 6
Nikki F. and Wayne W. send their regrets

  1. Introductions and Updates
  2. Representative from TD Bank
    1. Unfortunately, the TD Bank group invited did not attend. They were invited because Gus had received a phone call saying that because the Edmonton Pride Centre Parade has been cancelled, the TD Bank would like to donate some funds to rural communities hosting pride events. Camrose is a contender, and may be eligible for up to $25,000. We will push this back to a later date.
  3. Leadership Team Positions Open
    1. The Treasurer position is still open.
      1. Margaret H. will continue being the banker until the Treasurer position is filled. Margaret would like to point out that she is retiring in May of 2020, at which point priorities could change.
      2. Reminder: Margaret H., our banker, will be away from May 27th, 2019 to July 7th, 2019, at which point funds will be out of reach. This is during our Pride BBQ and preparations for our parade float.
    2. Amielle was voted in as Member-at-Large.
    3. Robyn was voted in as second Member-at-Large, until another Leadership Team Member can be found to replace her. Robyn cannot commit to too much moving forward.
    4. We are still looking for a co-chair.
    5. At current, the leadership stands as:
      1. Lead Chair: Gus
      2. Secretary: Lucas
      3. Treasurer/Banker: Margaret (through CDSS)
      4. Member-at-Large: Amielle
      5. Member-at-Large: Robyn
    6. Nikki remains as support through the AltView foundation.
    7. We have voted to post our bylaws on our website in an easily accessible place, as opposed to a dropbox. A downloadable PDF is also needed.
  4. Financial Report
    1. We currently have $2,713.87.
    2. Revenue still includes ~$500 from CDSS every year, which may or may not continue when Margaret retires.
    3. Nikki has received the $500 for the BBQ. She will keep track of receipts and everything. Margaret will do the paperwork to ensure the $500 comes out of our total.
  5. Society Status
    1. The bylaws we currently have attached to our application will remain the bylaws after we gain society status. Changing them will require a process. For now, the online posted bylaws are what we follow.
    2. Gus will update once there is a change to our society status. Until then, we will wait patiently.
  6. Upcoming Events and Plans
    1. BBQ in June – Jubilee Park – Sunday, June 16th, 2019 3:00pm – 8:00pm
      1. Timeline:
        1. 3:00pm: General Gathering
        2. 4:30pm: BBQ
        3. 6:00pm: Candle Vigil
        4. 7:00pm: Healing Fire Ceremony
      2. City permit approved
      3. The cost of the BBQ in the previous years has been as follows:
        1. 2016 – $556
        2. 2017 – $271
        3. 2018 – $281
      4. Please share the news as much as possible, including on Facebook and please share the Facebook event itself.
      5. Amielle and Margaret will be gone at that time.
      6. Posters
        1. Previously, CDSS did posters for free, which is what we have done in the past in an A4 size.
        2. Carol had also gotten posters printed inexpensively at Augustana, including the Cabaret posters. Margaret will double-check the price in our financial records.
        3. We have in the past paid $25 to CentraCam to have them posted. They prefer to receive the posters the week before we would like them posted. If we want them up in the first week of June, they must be given to CentraCam in the last week of May. Margaret is gone after the 27th of May. Nikki, please have the posters sent to Margaret by May 25th at the absolute latest, so that they can be printed by Margaret and taken to CentraCam. Margaret will send an e-mail to Nikki as a reminder as well.
      7. Donations
        1. Sam with Camrose Directory has agreed to donate bottles of water. Thank you Gus for finding that out.
        2. Lucas has agreed to ask for donations from Co-op, Safeway, and Save-On Foods managers. Nikki will make all documents of the Pride Community available to him and other members, in hopes of sharing previous year’s templates of cover letters.
        3. Documents from last year will also include the numbers. What were the numbers from last year? Gus suggested about 100 hamburgers.
        4. If there are no documents from last year about who donated what and in what amount, Margaret may be able to look at expenses in the past.
        5. We are hoping to get donations of condiments, buns, cheese, veggies, hot dogs, burgers, and watermelons.
        6. Rebecca helped significantly in the previous years. She is unable to help this year. Sarah, the host of Camrose Coffee, will be asked by Gus about helping cook the food.
      8. Food
        1. Carol had allowed us to use her deep-freeze previous to save left-over food. Unfortunately, we no longer have that option. Left-overs will be donated to either the Women’s Shelter or the Open Door.
        2. Nikki is contacting AHS about rules around the food service. She will also ask about coolers needed for raw meets and thermometers. What has been done about coolers in the past?
        3. We also need to ensure we have gluten-free burgers, veggie dogs, veggie trays, etc. for people with restricted diets.
        4. The burgers will be available by donation.
      9. While Amielle had raised the notion of creating some sort of visual (like a thermometer) to track donations towards the CPC and had hoped for a specific goal to work towards, without Carol donating a full days work every week towards the CPC, we are going to have difficulty maintaining our previous presence within the city. Our goals this year are mostly to maintain what we have achieved in the past three years and continue having a presence within the community. Currently our events generally pay for themselves, and we are doing okay in terms of money. We will table a discussion about the goals and future of the CPC until we have received society status and we are all more comfortable with our roles.
      10. Nikki F. is still heading the BBQ Subcommittee with AltView.
      11. We still need volunteers to cook.
      12. Who will decorate?
    2. BVJ Pride Parade – Sunday, August 4th, 2019
      1. $500 had been approved from last meeting for petty cash for the parade.
      2. Amielle has not yet asked Tish about using her convertible as she wasn’t sure about having a driver. Gus has agreed to drive the car. Amielle will ask Tish to use it.
      3. Float
        1. While we had floated the idea of creating some large, without knowing if we have money from TD Bank, we have to plan for something more manageable for the time-availability and budget of our team.
        2. Prior floats have included trucks and flatbeds with palm trees that won 1st place in our first year. They also have included just the car and many walkers. That is probably what we will do this year.
        3. Amielle and Margaret will work on official aspects of the parade including insurance when Margaret comes back from France. The deadline is July 14th.
        4. Lucas and Amielle will meet up to discuss matters related to providing drag/dress-up materials for the float. We are thinking perhaps a Tickle Trunk would be a great way to get people involved and feeling comfortable.
      4. Guests
        1. Amielle will ask Robyn Banks and Sir Racha to be our special guests and walk in drag. This will encourage all participants to do drag/dress-up.
        2. The Kodiaks walked with us last year. Amielle will ask if they would like to again. We still have the pride tape from last year to wrap around their hockey sticks.
      5. Decorations
        1. We have many rainbow pompoms from the previous year and other decorations that will be used to decorate the vehicle.
        2. We also have a pride banner that can be carried from last year.
        3. We are thinking of perhaps ordering stickers from Vistaprint.com of the new Pride Loonie, that we can then stick on Chocolate Loonies to give out to people.
  7. Community Registration Night
    1. Thursday, September 5th, evening.
    2. Amielle and Lucas have volunteered to sit with the booth and promote the Pride Community.
  8. Upcoming Regular Meetings
    1. EspressOUT
      1. Monday, May 27th, 2019 5:30pm – 7:30pm
        1. Gus b. Will ask Sarah from Camrose Coffee about hosting us again this month. It will be nice to have it consistently in the same place.
    2. Friends and Family Meeting
      1. They will not be meeting for June, July, August, and September. They will return to regular meetings in October.
    3. Regular Meeting for Planning and Connection
      1. Monday, June 10th,, 2019 6:00pm – 8:00pm at the Camrose Public Library Irving Room.
  9. Sharing Circle
  10. Meeting adjourned: 7:20pm

May 13, 2019 6-8Pm


Camrose Pride Community
May 13, 2019 Meeting Agenda
6-8 pm
Camrose Public Library in IRVING ROOM

  1. Introduction
  2. Representative from TD Bank
  3. Leadership Team Positions open:
    • Co-Chair & Treasure (transitioning) – descriptions from bylaws (attached, V & VI)
    • Member Without Portfolio (as our bylaws state we need a minimum of 5 for a Board) – Amielle has volunteered to occupy this position – motion/vote
    • Talk about posting bylaws on website? Or having them in a dropbox sharable link on the website, with any other documents we want open to the entire CPC membership?
  4. Financial Report – Margaret H.
    • Clarification for BBQ petty cash – approved budget of up to $500 from April’s meeting; will this be forwarded as petty cash to Nikki Featherstone to administer while Margaret is away? Do we need a motion or was this approved last month?
  5. Update on Society status:
    • Action from last month to contact for an update – news?
    • Action from last month on bank account – has anyone talked to the banks about opening an account prior to status coming in?
  6. Upcoming events and plans
    1. Pride in the Park BBQ – June 16, 3pm – 8pm, Jubilee Park – Covered Shelter/fire stove by playground
      • City permit is approved; AHS notification for food handling sent in
      • Facebook event is up, Please share it to get the news out – general gathering starts at 3pm, BBQ at 4:30pm, candle vigil at 6:30, 7pm healing fire ceremony – check FB event for details
      • Donations – need volunteers to canvas for donations: ie safeway, coop: condiments, buns, cheese slices, bottles of water, veggie trays, hot dogs, burgers, watermelons
      • Idea: thermometer donation – Amielle had a great idea to raise funds by choosing a dollar amount or a project goal, and drawing out a large thermometer to mark progress. Would CPC want to do this? If so, will we begin the campaign at the BBQ? We will need volunteers to man this station and secure donations – how do we do that? Locked cash box?
      • BBQ will come from Camrose Police, who will also take it away. They do not have members able to cook. We need volunteers to cook.
      • Poster is being modified/created by Nikki – where do we get posters printed?
    2. Big Valley Jamboree Parade in August –  news and update
      • Planning committee headed by Amielle
      • Vehicle?
      • Guests?
      • Insurance/administration/permits (if any)
      • Members on Planning committee – do we need more volunteers?
        • (Nikki F cannot attend the parade, as she will not be here. She will have some time in July to assist committee in last part of the preparations when needed)
  7. Community Registration Night
    • Is CDSS filling out the registration form? Motion for payment
    • We need volunteers to man the table, set up and take down the display
      • Nikki F is willing, depending on date and time – do we have this yet?
      • Do we have another person willing to volunteer?
  8. Upcoming Regular Meetings:
    • espressOUT on May 27th, 5:30-7:00 p.m. Where should we hold espressOUT in May? The Forum? Off campus in a coffee shop? Where?
    • Friends and Family Meeting is NOT meeting for June, July, August & September. They will return to regular, first Monday’s in October
    • Regular Meeting for Planning and Connection at the Camrose Public Library in the IRVING ROOM on the second Monday of the month (June 10) 6-8 p.m
      • *Nikki will assist the Leadership Team with the creation of an agenda for this meeting, Lucas as Secretary will take minutes and forward to Nikki for posting on the website
  9. Sharing Circle