Sept. 9, 2019

Date: Monday, September 9th, 2019
Time 6:00pm – 8:00pm
Place: Camrose Public Library Irving Meeting Room
Attendance: Gus B., Zach S., Lucas H., Ron (Happy Birthday this month!), Pastor Jon (United Church), Carmen (Retro) 
Regrets: Margaret H., Candy M., Robyn G., Nikki F.

  1. Introductions
  2. Financial report
    1. We have approx. $3,200 in funds.
  3. Society Status
    1. CPC’s application has been filed.
  4. Debrief
    1. Community Registration Night
      1. Candy was a success! We still hope to get promotional swag.
    2. Fall Bank$ Ball
      1. A roaring success!
      2. 100-120 People
      3. 3 Guests
        1. Lilith Fair (Edmonton)
        2. JBR (Edmonton)
        3. Sir Racha (Camrose)
      4. Successful door prizes from many sponsors
      5. Report: No protesters!
      6. Thank you to sponsors!
  5. Pam Rocker
    1. November 17th, 2019 – Sunday
    2. United Church – working together to make a sermon
    3. Jon requests a contact with Pam Rocker – Gus will email and Pam Rocker to create introduction
    4. Afternoon Workshop:
      1. Location: Bethel Pastor (?) – Ellen Parker our contact has emailed Pastor Debra-Anne possible locatin for afternoon
      2. Subject: Gus will contact Pam Rocker for Title
    5. Gus will email Nikki with the photographs she has requested.
    6. Gus will let Jon know by the end of the month of the location
    7. Amielle recommends Canva for graphic design.
  6. Strategic Planning Session
    1. 6 month meetings about strategic planning
    2. 5 to 10 year plans
      1. What are our goals
      2. How do we want to grow this
    3. Nikki will contact Michael about 3 potential dates in the next month or two and see what works best.
  7. Community Meals
    1. after/before meetings either at a restaurant
    2. connect beforehand or after to also mitigate tangential speaking
    3. Gus also offers his place once that have moved
    4. Amielle will email Nikki to let her know about these plans so she can tag that on to the email about call for agenda items.
  8. Queer Subgroups Facebook
    1. Potentially creating a closed group attached to CPC
    2. Potentially creating group chats for these people interested, invited in through CPC.
    3. We will table this until Nikki can return
  9. Fire Ceremony
    1. October 11th, 7:30pm-9Pm
    2. Nikki will promote through social media
    3. Nikki will provide more information at the next meeting
    4. Questions raised: is this is part of a larger response?
  10. Upcoming Events and Plans
    1. Community Healing Workshop – Culture Days – FREE
      1. September 28th, 12:30pm-4:30pm
      2. Please register by contacting Nikki at
    2. Fall Family Dance
      1. Saturday, November 16th, 7:00pm – 10:00pm
      2. Retro has agreed to host
        1. You cannot bring outside food (except a cake)
        2. Saturday is karaoke night
        3. Capacity is 150
        4. Planning Committee
          1. What do you want to accomplish?
            1. Is it to raise funds?
            2. Pay for itself?
            3. Just for volunteers and their families?
        5. We offer events and guests, that do cost more (we cannot front that cost). Carmen has a list of people who can be contacted for entertainment.
          1. Magician/Variety Act
            1. Variety of price points ($1,000 for big show)
          2. Comedians
          3. Actors
          4. 387 Entertainment – Braden in Millet
            1. He will help share andpromote and is very community oriented.
          5. Robyn Bank$ will be making an appearance.
          6. Alberta Princess – Jenaea
          7. Zach will contact Sir Racha about making an appearance
          8. Mini-drag show with Sir Racha and Robyn.
          9. Shuffleboard
          10. Washer Toss
          11. Giant Jenga
          12. Karaoke
            1. Karaoke Contest?
          13. Open to setting up more for that
          14. Carmen or Daughter can DJ, especially if we provide a song list if we’d like to save money on a DJ
          15. Joshua Boone (Dr. Detail), through Tish, has a DJ business and loves community events, as well.
          16. Bill York is a DJ with a photobooth as well.
          17. Retro also has backdrops available
        6. Food
          1. Retro must cater
          2. No outside food allowed
          3. Open at 4 throughout week
          4. Open at 2 on weekends
          5. Retro is always available for booking outside of those hours if we’d like to keep that in mind for the future.
        7. Tickets
          1. What will we charge?
          2. Last year prices:
            1. $5/person
            2. $10/family
          3. Retro Dollars can be used for arcade games and pool tables. Carmen proposed each ticket comes with 2 retro dollars.
        8. Carmen will contact DJs about potential prices.
        9. Guswill contact Tish to ask Joshua Boone about prices
        10. Door Prizes?
        11. Carmen will put up posters and social media from Metro’s accounts once we have more info.
        12. Planning Committee
          1. Tuesday, September 24th, 2019 at Retro from 7:00pm – 9:00pm
          2. Nikki will get information about years past Fall Family Dances
        13. Last Dance:
          1. ~100 people at last family dance?
        14. Presale Tickets?
  11. Regular Meetings
    1. ExpressOUT
      1. Monday, September 30th, 2019 – 5:30pm – 7:00pm
      2. Theme: Puzzles
        1. Amielle will purchase second hand puzzles
      3. Future Ideas: Pool Tournament at Retro? Maybe a separate event?
    2. Regular Meeting for Planning and Connection
      1. Tuesday, October 15th, 2019 6:00pm – 8:00pm
      2. Notice: Due to stat: Tuesday, November 12, 2019
      3. Where: Camrose Public Library Irving Meeting Room
    3. Friends and Family Meeting
      1. Monday, October 7th, 2019
        1. Nikki will contact Brian/Colleen Nelson to confirm time
  12. Agenda Items for Next Meeting
    1.  Camrose Pride Community Promotional Items
      1. Sticker Sheets
      2. Tattoos
      3. Pins
    2. Calla Peacey with BRSD
      1. Her mom has a promotional
      3. Lucas will contact Calla
        1. May do decals
      5. thingsinabucket
      6. vistaprint
    3. Booster did not allow ad about Fall Bank$ Ball
    4. Morning News is a better venue.
    5. Community Events Section free for non-profits, etc.
    6. Coffee News
  13. Sharing Circle

Monthly Meeting Agenda

Camrose Pride Community
Date: Monday, September 9, 2019
Time: 6:00pm – 8:00pm
Place: Camrose Public Library Irving Meeting Room

  1. Introductions
  2. Financial Report
    • Margaret (Banker) to send in the Financial Report
    • Presented by Candy or Gus
  3. Society Status
    • Update – Our application has been filed!! Now we wait.
  4. Debriefs:
    • Community Registration Night
    • Fall BANK$
  5. Pam Rocker Update
    • Pam is booked for Nov. 17th. She is working with the United Church on the sermon – what about the workshop in the afternoon?
      • Do we have a location?
      • A theme she’s going to talk about?
  6. For Poster – Nikki needs Gus to forward the email Pam sent with photos attached as actual email, since the attachment does not work to save pictures from.
  7. Strategic planning session – CPC Leadership Team to schedule a separate meeting to sit down and prepare our 1 year/5 year/10 year plan.
    • Michael from altView has offered his services (free) to facilitate this Strategic Planning meeting; He would assist us by guiding the CPC Team in the planning process, not telling us what we should plan. J
    • If the Team is agreeable to this, Nikki will begin process to set a date with everyone
  8. Amielle – group meals, after planning sessions or another time. Creating community around food
  9. Nikki – has had a request for specific queer group supports. What does CPC think about creating FB groups of queer subgroups for connection purposes – Camrose Poly Group, Bi Group, Queer Teen Group, etc. People are having a hard time connecting without having to out all their private stuff at initial meetings.
  10. Nikki – notice of  Fire Ceremony – Before we can move on to repairing the wound from having people protest our existence within the community, we need an outlet to validate the wounding itself
    • Nikki would like to hold a Queer Community Fire Ceremony, on October 11th, 7:30-9pm, at the Jubilee Park.
    • Focus – to give members an avenue to voice how this experience has changed their perception of safety within the Camrose community, or any other piece they will want to share. Allies are welcome
  11. This is the first of a 3 part seasonal response that Nikki would like to facilitate – Autumn season, Fire Ceremony; Spring season, Wishing Tree community art; Summer season, Community Mural (hopefully)
  12. Upcoming Events and Plans
  • CommUNITY Healing workshop – FREE – on September 28th, 12:30pm-4:30pm.
    • This workshop is for the queer community and law enforcement, and is being funded as a part of Alberta Culture Days. Nikki and Candy are co-facilitating this community art workshop in efforts to create healing and integration of our two subgroups. Please see Workshop Invitation for more details – registration is through Nikki @
  • Fall Family Dance – Retro is our location for Nov. 16th. (day before Pam Rocker)
    • Gus – spoke to Carmen about price to have all the games free for kids
    • Other ideas? What made the Family Dance at the Bailey so successful?

13.Upcoming Regular Meetings

  • Regular Meeting for Planning and Connection
    1. TUESDAY, October 15th, 2019 6:00pm – 8:00pm at the Camrose Public Library Irving Room
    1. October and November meeting dates have been rescheduled with the Library to work around stats:
      1. Tuesdays, October 15, and November 12, 2019
  • EspressOUT
    • Monday, September 30th, 2019 5:30pm – 7:00pm
      • Location: Camrose Coffee
      • Theme: Ideas?
        • (Nikki would like to do another Divination theme in October, close to Hallows)
  • Friends and Family Meeting
    • They will not be meeting for June, July, August, and September. They will return to regular meetings in October.
      • Do we know if they are still doing the 1st Monday evenings and at the Library?

14. Sharing Circle