Camrose Pride has contacted every candidate running for the City of Camrose council, and invited them to sign our Pledge to End Conversion ‘Therapy’ Practices!
We will be keeping a public record of all candidates who sign our Pledge, so you all will know who is standing with us on Oct. 18th!
See below for the email we sent them and read Pledge!
We are writing today to ask you to become public, intentional, and explicit in your support for the 2SLGBTQ+ citizens of Camrose. We were inspired by the campaign by the Alberta Council of Women’s Shelters, “Lift Her Up”, and with permission from them, adapted it to our own pledge we are requesting each of you sign.
It is a declaration that you recognize the violence and abuse that 2SLGBTQ+ citizens experience in Camrose, often from systemic sources; and that as a candidate to represent these citizens, you are ready to declare your support and commit to working to eradicate all societal violence against 2SLGBTQ+ citizens, including a by-law prohibiting all forms of conversion practices in the City of Camrose.
Please take a moment to read through the attached Pledge, and when you’re ready, sign and return it to us via this email. We will be keeping a public record on our social medias of all the pledges we receive back, so that our community, (and all our families and allies), can know who is willing and ready to stand with us on Oct. 18th.
On Behalf of the Camrose Pride Society
Sept. 28, 2021
#NoConversionCanada #BanConversionTherapy #CityOfCamrose #Municipalelections2021 #pie #publicintentionalexplicit #camrosepride #2SLGBTQ #alberta
END CONVERSION ‘Therapy’
Ban Conversion ‘Therapy’ Practices
2021 Camrose Municipal Election Commitment
As a candidate in the upcoming municipal election in Camrose, Alberta:
• I express my respect and support of 2SLGBTQ+ citizens
• I will treat all citizens as equal members of our community, regardless of sexual identity or gender expression, as my part in creating an overall culture of inclusion
• I commit to do my part to prevent all instances of homophobic, transphobic, and biphobic behaviours, and to hold all candidates to the same standard of conduct, recognizing that homophobic, transphobic, biphobic or violent language and representation do a disservice to all candidates and to the public at large.
Should I be elected, I will adhere to this same level of conduct and will:
• Pursue policies which eradicate all forms of societal violence, including a by-law prohibiting all forms of conversion practices in the City of Camrose.
• Advocate for 2SLGBTQ+ people who experience violence and abuse.
• Honour the diversity of the 2SLGBTQ+ community and work towards addressing the barriers they may face.
• Recognize that as a community leader, I have a role to play to encourage dialogue and education on the importance of ending violence against 2SLGBTQ+ people.
This commitment demonstrates my understanding that by promoting equality, I as a candidate, help to reduce long-term costs, build stronger communities, and fairly represent the citizens of Camrose who elected me.
By signing the below, I do hereby commit to the above:
Candidate for (check one): _ Council or _ Mayor