April 8, 2019 Monthly Meeting

Camrose Pride Community
Date: Monday, April 8th, 2019
Time: 6:00pm – 8:00pm
Place: Camrose Public Library Bunker

Attendees: 6
Nikki F. and Wayne W. send their regrets

  1. Introductions and Updates
    1. Amielle C. wishes to remind everyone that Wheat and Laurel, her literary journal for rural Alberta youth ages 11-19, is having its first issue launch party at the Camrose Public Library Sunday, April 14th, 2019 from 2:00pm – 5:00pm. Please attend if you are able.
  2. Leadership Positions Open
    1. Lucas H. nominated by Gus B. to be Secretary. The motion was seconded by Margaret H. The motion was passed. Congratulations to Lucas H. as our new secretary.
    2. The Treasurer position is still open.
      1. Margaret H. will continue being the banker until the Treasurer position is filled. Margaret would like to point out that she is retiring in May of 2020, at which point priorities could change.
    3. The position description of each leadership team position can be found in our bylaws, which can be found with Margaret H. She will make the bylaws available to everybody.
      1. Note: we are hoping bylaws and other documents can be readily available to all and request those with documents make it known to Margaret, including electronic documents.
  3. Margaret H., our banker, will be away from May 27th, 2019 to July 7th, 2019, at which point funds will be out of reach. This is during our Pride BBQ and preparations for our parade float.
    1. Still under deliberation and consideration
  4. Financial Report
    1. We currently have $3,213.87.
    2. Revenue includes $500 from CDSS and a net profit of $576 from the Ages and Stages Dance at the end of March after ~$600 of expenses from the $1,228 gross revenue.
    3. Previous expenses included ~$2,177
    4. The Nordley’s Coat Check fundraising brought us $870, including the tips from the bar staff. Many thanks go out to them for supporting Pride Camrose.
    5. Some expenses incurred were paid out of gross, of which we received the net.
  5. Society Status
    1. Gus B. is still working towards our society designation with the Government of Alberta. Unfortunately, they had mis-typed his e-mail address last year and he never received the information he needed to move forward with the society designation, so the application had to be restarted in February. Thank you to Carol and Margaret H. for starting that process. While this does set things back, it does give us more opportunity to understand what we will need when we receive society status, including what positions will be needed to add to the executive team or the possibility of additional directors. This positions will need to be defined for our society status.
    2. We would like to receive more information about society and board status with the government Alberta. For instance, are we able to open a bank account without being a designated society? We are hoping someone will take up the mantle on finding that information from various banks around Camrose.
    3. We will contact the Alberta Government about our status after elections, which have paused a lot of government services.
  6. CPC Storage
    1. Currently items are stored at Gus B. Salon. Unfortunately, that space will no longer be accessible soon, due to the business being sold and moved. Robyn G. has graciously offered us space in her home. Her space will be available after April 25th, 2019. There are about 4 shelves of items.
    2. Nikki F. has possession of most of the electronic documents relating to the Camrose Pride Community, including flash drives.
  7. Upcoming Events and Plans
    1. BBQ in June – Sunday, June 16th, 2019
      1. The cost of the BBQ in the previous years has been as follows:
        1. 2016 – $556
        2. 2017 – $271
        3. 2018 – $281
      2. The price has been dependent on advertising cost and how much volunteer effort was put into raising donations. In the previous years Rebecca has been very active in receiving donations, of which there were considerable last year. She also donated much herself last year. We would like to have a call out for volunteers who can go out and ask for donations.
      3. There was also much spent last year on decorative items and supplies that won’t need to be repurchased this year.
      4. In order to preapprove spending for auditor purposes, Gus B. raised motion to approve petty cash spending up to $500 for the BBQ. Stephen seconds the motion. The motion is passed. Nikki with the CDSS can issue cheques with this preapproval.
      5. The BBQ follows Edmonton Pride Week, which may provide some advertising opportunities.
      6. Unfortunately Amielle and Margaret will be away, and Gus B. cannot commit to a Saturday. We have moved the date of the BBQ to Sunday, June 16th, 2019 instead. Details will come.
      7. Nikki F. will head the BBQ Subcommittee with AltView.
        1. What will be involved with the planning committee?
        2. We will ask Rebecca was she is willing and able to do.
      8. The event will take place in a city park, which is City of Camrose property, therefore we will need to apply to hold a special event there.
        1. This application should be made by May 15th at the absolute latest.
        2. Nikki F. can most likely apply for park use and be the liaison with the City of Camrose.
      9. Home Hardware has a community BBQ can that be used free-of-charge. They will also deliver and pick-up the BBQ.
        1. Gus B. will call Home Hardware to book the BBQ for June 16th.
      10. We will send out calls for a volunteer cook – Camrose Police?
      11. We will need certification with Alberta Health Services.
      12. We will need someone to decorate with balloons, streamers, etc.
      13. We will need someone responsible for advertising.
        1. We have last year’s poster and with updates it could be submitted to Camrose Morning News, The Centracam Poster should go up at the end of May.
        2. CDSS may be able to help with advertising.
      14. The majority of the work can be done in May for preparations.
      15. Nikki F. will also ask around about information pertaining to a BBQ, especially with the police, as they recently had a BBQ.
    2. Pride Parade – Sunday, August 4th, 2019
      1. The Pride Parade will be the first weekend of August, during the Big Valley Jamboree on Sunday, August 4th, 2019.
      2. Gus B. motions to approve $500 petty cash for Pride Parade. Stephen seconds the motion. The motion is passed.
      3. Last year we had success with borrowing Trish’s convertible for the float. It was driven by Dale. We will need a Driver’s License and Insurance. Note: it is not an easy car to drive.
      4. Guests
        1. Robyn Banks had walked with us last year: would she like to participate again this year?
        2. Would Melissa like to walk with us as Sir Racha?
        3. Shall we extend the invitation for all to dress in drag if they are comfortable?
        4. We willneed a clipboard with a waiver to cover the insurance. We will also need more information about the rules involved. CDSS can help us apply with the Chamber of Commerce and cover for WCB. Amielle will call the Chamber of Commerce for more information about this.
      5. Organization will be charged by Amielle and assisted by Nikki F.
      6. Decorations
        1. We have many rainbow pompoms from the previous year.
  8. Symposium
    1. The symposium was a day-long event at the Chapel at Augustana with keynote speakers Gary Wellson and Marie Parnas, and included talks on How to Be a Better Ally and How to Deal with Bigotry.
    2. There were many resources available
    3. It was well attended with about 40 guests, most of whom were students, though University administrators did attend as well.
    4. We are hoping to have another next year with even more success, including with new keynote speakers who may provide new insight for the LGBTQ+ community.
    5. Unfortunately, information collected at the Symposium, including the e-mail addresses of people that want updates from the CPC have been lost. We are hoping to inquire to get them from the UofA.
  9. Ages and Stages Dance
    1. It went really well, although perhaps in the future we will not combine an under 18 with an over 18 event. It is better to keep these as two separate entities on two separate days, as most people were too tired to take part in anything occurring after 10:00 pm, with attendance dropping to about 5.
    2. The silent auction should be in a more obvious and accessible place to encourage more donations.
    3. In future events, perhaps we can involve all three LGBTQ+ organizations (CPC, AltView, AQUA) more heavily to encourage stronger attendance.
    4. In the future we would like more emphasis on the dance, instead of the cabaret aspects. The considerable amount of performances did not engage children as well as free dancing.
      1. Hiring a DJ is recommended for future dances. Rates are reasonable.
    5. Retro may not be the best venue for an event like this. Perhaps the Bailey or Elk Hall would be more appropriate in the future.
    6. In the future, over 18 events could occur in tandem with AQUA. Perhaps an event a semester would work well.
  10. Upcoming Regular Meetings
    1. EspressOUT
      1. Monday, April 29th, 2019 5:30pm – 7:30pm
        1. Gus b. Will ask Sarah from Camrose Coffee about hosting us again this month.
    2. Friends and Family Meeting
      1. Monday, May 6th, 2019 6:00pm – 8:00pm at the Camrose Public Library Bunker
        1. This event is for the parents, family, and friends of LGBTQ+ individuals.
    3. Regular Meeting for Planning and Connection
      1. Monday, May 13th, 2019 6:00pm – 8:00pm at the Camrose Public Library Bunker
        1. Meeting agenda will be made by Nikki F.
  11. Sharing Circle
    1. Please go vote!
  12. Meeting adjourned: 6:40pm

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.