May 10, 2021

Camrose Pride Community
Date: Monday, May 10, 2021  
Time: 6:30pm – 8:30pm    Place: ONLINE ZOOM

Attendance:
Executive Leadership:
Nikki F (she/her) – Chair
Candy (she/her) – Treasurer
Stephen (he/him) – Member-at-Large
Regrets:
Robyn Gray (she/her) – Secretary
Sam – Youth Council Rep
Jana (she/her) – Member-at-Large
Members:
Andrew
Ray
Teri
Marsha
Guests:
Wyatt

  1. Call to Order – Confirm quorum – Introductions
  2. We have quorum
  3. Financials – Candy
  4. No change since last month. 1,765.53 in bank account (net change -$3.75 from last month, bank fee) plus $550 petty cash. Financial sheets are attached
  5. Invitation for CPC member to speak on a Panel w/ MLA Janis Irwin
    1. Camrose NDP is going to be running a panel for Pride month focused on rural LGBTQ+ issues and pride, and they would really love to have a representative from Camrose Pride Community on the panel to help bring those issues to light.
    1. will be on Saturday, June 12, from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
    1. panel is going to be pretty broad, so the panellist would be welcome to talk about whichever aspects of rural LGBTQ+ issues they would like to spotlight (i.e., healthcare, education, housing, employment, etc.
    1. Contact person – Wyatt T. (wyatt.tanton@gmail.com)
      – practice panel Sunday before. If anyone is interested, please contact Wyatt this week so that it can be put on their events page. Looking at a $10.00 ticket for the event (two hours). Looking for one individual to represent CPC. Online, open to any individual to come. Will have questions focusing on PoC, trans issues, etc.
    1. Would like a focus on supports for youth and GSA’s within topics of the conversation.
    1. We will send an email to our membership to find who is interested in the event.

Motion (Candy): Camrose Pride Community to support this event and agree to canvas for an appropriate participant. Seconded by Nikki. Motion Passes Unanimously

  1. Andrew V. – 3 part talk for Camrose Healthcare providers on 2SLGBTQ+ issues – looking for feedback from CPC on any experiences we wish to ensure are covered.
  2. Can use Camrose Pride Community as a community resource.
  3. Please reach out if you have nay topics that would like to be covered
    1. Wyatt: Body dysmorphia and COVID, inability to be active like before and COVID recovery
    1. QSA: will give some thought too and respond
  1. Conversion ‘Therapy’ Ban By-law
    1. – ACTION PLAN – create our Action Plan to carry this out
      1. first draft of letter to be written as step one, to be presented to City of Camrose Council during Pride Month. (mid June)
  2. We have a few weeks to come together to make a draft letter for a councillor to present (or a community member to present).
  3. What should the action plan look like?
    1. Step 1: Communications plans:
      1. Internally, Why we want to do this? What do we need to do?
      1. Who brought forth bylaws to the other previous communities?
      1. Reach out to Pam Rocker.
      1. Reach out to the counsellor members individually to see who may be returning or leaving come October.
      1. Wyatt: Agnus Hellen, Max Lindstrand and ? will be running again. Election candidates: Lucas Bannock, Wyatt Tranton, Stacey Wall. There’s an info session June 13th for candidates. Thinks most candidates would support this – you can also be involved and run!
    1. Step 2 How: the letter itself on what we think the bylaws could and should look like
    1. Step 3: Discussion on putting out an announcement in June: Wyatt thinks Camrose NDP would support and could be a topic of conversation in Panel. Needs to be submitted a month before – would hopefully be discussed in July.

Motion (Candy): Camrose Pride Community to send a Public Service Announcement in June 1 about intention to submit a draft bylaw banning conversion therapy to City Council. Seconded by Stephen. Motion Passes Unanimously

Action: Candy to put together a background document to supplement the application. Nikki to reach out to Pam and other counsellors and candidates.

  1. June – Pride Month – Check in on ACTION plan
    1. Queer Scavenger Hunt idea-
      1. Nikki will create lists of items to find – in progress
      1. Are we able to source prizes for this, or do we think with COVID, that may not be wise? How else can we create a prize for this?
      1. Don’t feel good asking businesses for prizes.
      1. many small prizes vs one big prize

Motion (Nikki): Camrose Pride Community to use $150.00 for prizes from small, locally-owned businesses to be selected by participant draw.  Seconded by Candy. Motion Passes Unanimously

  • Colouring Pages – Candy
    • Candy will gather colouring pages for the community to colour and enter into a draw for prizes.
    • Online Queer Trivia – Stephen
      • Questions posted online; answers given out later
      • Stephen to create list of trivia questions, with help from other members and Board – Update?
        • Working on this currently.
    • Moments of Pride – reshare last year’s videos, invite new ones from community to create archive of local queer & allied voices. – will be completed in June
    • Letter to City of Camrose to request the flag be raised June 1st – Will this be included in the letter sent out to rural communities?
    • Candy – drafting letters to all villages and towns within the counties of Camrose, Beaver, and Flagstaff, requesting they raise a pride flag for June
      • Draft Letter has been shared with the Board – all in favour of sending it out?
      • Stephen found emails for Flagstaff county municipalities; we need volunteers to gather the other 2 counties’ emails, as these need to go out ASAP.

Action (Nikki): to talk to Gus about the process of requesting the Pride Flag to be raised. Nikki to contact Camrose County. Candy to contact Beaver and Flagstaff.

  1. Youth Council – Update on ACTION plan
    1. Candy to connect with Sam and ask to begin talking with our community youth around anything they would like to present during June for youth – Update?
    1. She had mentioned activities to QSA, but currently challenging right now with COVID. We are open to support them in their ideas. Doesn’t have to be a month long thing, can also be in July or later as COVID allows. Are zoomed-out.
    1. Nikki – connected with Andrea Dyck around any resources she may direct us to for supporting the Youth Council – Update: Andrea has stated that her team would love to support the Youth Council of CPC, which would mean the Mental Health Capacity Building Team through BRSD. She said to just let her know when we have particulars and she is happy to schedule a meeting to talk through what would be helpful and what they might be able to do.
  2. Letter to UCP on Curriculum – Update?
  3. Hasn’t been sent yet. Went to some of the parent sessions to gather more information. Started drafting it, feel we need to send something. In progress, waiting other input from experts.
  4. Rotary Meeting – Update?
  5. Have set a date, we get about 10 minutes of the meeting
  6. Upcoming regular meetings
    1. Regular meeting for planning and connection
      1. 1.    Monday, June 14, 2021 from 6:30pm to 8:30pm (Every second Monday)
      1. 2.    Location: online zoom (likely)
      1. EspressOUTSIDE
        1. May 31st – Physically distanced walk around Mirror Lake – meet at Jubilee Park 7pm
        1. TENTATIVE – weather and Covid restrictions dependant. Announcement will be put on the FB page
      1. Friends and family meeting
        1. Final meeting before summer break (until Oct) – June 2nd, 6:30pm
        1. Please contact Andrea Dyck for details (adyck@brsd.ab.ca)
  1. Sharing circle

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.